Zonophone sound box

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Zonophone sound box

Post by vansteem78 »

When looking up my Zonophone Grand Opera machine circa 1906. One book states that it uses some Victor parts but other characteristic Zonophone parts. Is this sound box a characteristically Zonophone part?
Attachments
zon sound box too.JPG
zon sound box.JPG

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Zonophone sound box

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Well, its marked "Zonophone", but the front ring, stylus bar, stylus bar springs, diaphragm and rubber would all be interchangable with those of a Victor Exhibition.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Ha ha yes I know it says Zonophone as does the machine but just trying to figure out which parts are from Victor and which parts 'are characteristically Zonophone.' As I just said the machine says Zonophone but there is a Victor motor etc. etc. The bracket holding the arm is not Victor, The brake is not Victor so thought I'd ask about the sound box. I guess if it was Victor it would say maybe Zonophone Exhibition?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you wouldn't mind, please post some pictures of the whole machine. It's nice to see and show off machines, especially the unusual ones.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When your Grand Opera was made, Zonophone was owned and controlled by Victor. The parts showed Victor influences. The sound box on your machine closely resembles an Exhibition.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

A few photos of my Zonophone machine as requestd. The horn is cloth covered and large.
Attachments
zono7.JPG
zono3.JPG
zono2.JPG
zono5.JPG
zono9.JPG
zono1.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Any time. Lots of time with facebook problems system wide today!

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

vansteem78 wrote:Ha ha yes I know it says Zonophone as does the machine but just trying to figure out which parts are from Victor and which parts 'are characteristically Zonophone.' As I just said the machine says Zonophone but there is a Victor motor etc. etc. The bracket holding the arm is not Victor, The brake is not Victor so thought I'd ask about the sound box. I guess if it was Victor it would say maybe Zonophone Exhibition?
No. This is the reproducer which was used from around 1906 until the end. A Victor product through and through.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've read that once Victor acquired Zonophone assets Zonophone machines were kept in production to compete with the Columbia lineup. Victor wanted the buying public to believe that even the most modest Victor was beyond comparison with any Columbia. :shock:

Jerry Blais