Original albums

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Original albums

Post by mick_vt »

I have most of the original storage albums in my XVI, some were water damaged but at least the top shelf full is in good condition. However I have been noticing that my use of them is damaging them. The materials have become very brittle with age, the coverings and even the pages are susceptible to easy breakage. So I am considering retiring the albums from day to day use and either moving the records elsewhere, or storing the albums away and using heavy duty archive sleeves in the cabinet in their place. Wondering you you guys do?

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Original albums

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I use sleeves and sometimes other storage albums when they are in good condition. My best source for them has been at phonograph shows.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Most of my Victors either have come with a complete set of original storage albums or I've assembled correct complete sets for them. I don't keep records in the albums with the green paper sleeves, they just don't hold up, but to me, the albums dress up the machine. L-doors with record boxes are fine from my experience to keep discs in as long as you're careful when you're selecting something to play and later orthophonic albums seem to have better quality paper for sleeves, so I will keep records in them.

I've always generally stored my 78s in paper sleeves and not albums. If a machine came with it's original owner's record collection, I keep them separate and note which machine they belong with. Maybe all of this is overkill and OCD sounding, but I'm a little OCD after all. :lol:

Sean

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I don't use the albums I bought, to complete my XVI "E", to hold records. These albums can be difficult and expensive to complete a set, or replace damaged ones. Besides, how would anyone arrange the records in a comprehensive system inside those?

I catalog my records alphabetically when I do, and the albums would be difficult to do that - in my mind it's more convenient to have them located on shelving away from the XVI. That also makes it more convenient to play them on a different machine.

Just my $0.02...
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Those albums made sense in 1915 or so when the owner had one machine, stored his entire library within the confines of the machine, and the paper sleeves were new and pliable.

Now, especially when many of us have many hundreds if not thousands of records, the best way imho is to store records on shelves in separate sleeves. Keep the empty albums in the machines because the machines look better that way. A side benefit is that if your machine is empty of records, it's a helluva lot easier to move around.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

fran604g wrote:I catalog my records alphabetically when I do, and the albums would be difficult to do that - in my mind it's more convenient to have them located on shelving away from the XVI. That also makes it more convenient to play them on a different machine.
You could be like me and just accumulate spare copies of your favorites just for "steel needle play" which then requires even more separate shelving. Don't laugh, that's what I've got going on!

Sean

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Valecnik wrote:Those albums made sense in 1915 or so when the owner had one machine, stored his entire library within the confines of the machine, and the paper sleeves were new and pliable.

Now, especially when many of us have many hundreds if not thousands of records, the best way imho is to store records on shelves in separate sleeves. Keep the empty albums in the machines because the machines look better that way. A side benefit is that if your machine is empty of records, it's a helluva lot easier to move around.

I agree with this method. My albums are too valuable to me and look so good in the machine. I just go pick records on my shelves and bring them to the machine (often a stack or two) and then play them.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I keep the records that I play the most in a Pooley cabinet that has an upper storage section for 10" and lower for 12" records. The records are kept in individual openings that are lined with felt. I have other cabinets that are not quite as refined and I use sleeves in those cabinets. As far as my Victrolas go, the albums are kept empty. If you do use the albums, be sure to keep your hand under them as you slide them out of the cabinet in case the bottom of a sleeve lets go. You don't want your favorite record to go crashing to the floor.

A sheet music stand can work well for storage of a limited number of records and also provide a good perch for a small machine or a lamp. A barrister bookcase can also be converted for record storage, (depending on depth). Some barristers already contain record storage. Some filing cabinets can also be used for record storage and double as a tabletop stand.