Columbia Type B and Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Columbia Type B and Reproducer

Post by ODIE3 »

I hope someone could help me. I have a Columbia Type B (Eagle) that I more or less inherited a LONG time ago. When I got it, it needed a few bits - governor springs, horn, and reproducer. But I've always had problems with the reproduction reproducer.

This past week I bought a "donor" Eagle that I assume had a original reproducer. I bought it for the reproducer and the belt cover :)

Anyways, here are photos of the two reproducers. Did I end up getting a incorrect reproduction reproducer or is my Eagle "bent" (doesn't seem bent)? I always have to fiddle with the reproduction reproducer to actually touch the record.

The "new" reproducer sits perfectly fine and plays awesome!
Attachments
newly acquired reproducer.  perhaps a original?
newly acquired reproducer. perhaps a original?
reproduction reproducer, bought in early 2000's
reproduction reproducer, bought in early 2000's
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Columbia Type B and Reproducer

Post by phonogfp »

Your newly-acquired reproducer is an original D1. Your reproduction reproducer is a D2. Either one is an acceptable period-appropriate upgrade for the smaller original type that was supplied with the Eagle (Eagles after serial number approx. 425,000 were originaly equipped with the D1.)

Hope this helps.

George P.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

That is great information, thank you.

So my reproducer D2, it's supposed to be able to touch the record? I cannot see why on my Eagle the D2 Reproducer will not touch (see my photo in 1st post - that is as close as it will get). I guess something must be bent, if you say the D2 should work properly.

My Serial Number is 181874 and the donor is 407200.
Attachments
My Serial Number :)
My Serial Number :)
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Can you zoom out a little with photos?

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

Sure, very happy too.
Attachments
IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1653.jpg
-----------
Richard

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ODIE3 wrote: I cannot see why on my Eagle the D2 Reproducer will not touch (see my photo in 1st post - that is as close as it will get). I guess something must be bent, if you say the D2 should work properly.
The Eagle is an early design (1897), and you'll notice that the D1 reproducer uses a stylus bar - - much like the stylus bar on the original Eagle reproducers. This stylus bar places the stylus further away from the diaphragm, so when the D1 and the D2 (which has no stylus bar) are in the same relative positions, one stylus will touch the record and the other won't. It's just a matter of the D2 not being designed for the Eagle.

As you've found, fiddling with the D2 - - especially not mounting it all the way on the trunnion - - will enable it to play on the Eagle.

George P.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

Hi phonogfp -

Thank you. So all is good then. For the record (no pun intended) I don't like how I have to fiddle with the reproduction D2 reproducer. It shall find a new home, somehow. Even when I get that D2 to touch the record, the D1 sounds much better (and the D1 tracts better too). I also think the D1 looks "cooler" :)

again thank you.

BTW, what does the original reproducer for my Eagle look like, might you be able to point me to some good photos?

nevermind, I found this posting (at least I am not the only one wondering about the Eagle's Reproducer)
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=29521
-----------
Richard

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

oh, also learned a new word: "trunnion". Thank you for that!

trun·nion noun a pin or pivot forming one of a pair on which something is supported.
-----------
Richard