Wanted: Type B / Eagle "Black" Screws for Governor Springs

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Wanted: Type B / Eagle "Black" Screws for Governor Springs

Post by ODIE3 »

Here goes nothing, I expect.

My Columbia Type B Eagle only had one spring on its governor when it was given to me by my grandmother some 30 years ago. After getting a donor Eagle I have a full set of spring screws but the screws are not black. Perhaps the color really is gun metal blue (GMB)? The two that I do have, I decided to use them on the belt cover that also came with the donor Eagle.

Anyways, anyone have 6 of these flathead governor spring screws that are black / GMB?

:clover: :ugeek: :clover: :D

Photo below is the screws. I have also circled a screw on the cover (hard to see) but also a larger screw that holds the player to the wood. That's the color of all my screws...
Attachments
IMG_1657.jpg
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Wanted: Type B / Eagle "Black" Screws for Governor Sprin

Post by Phonofreak »

I've seen them both ways. Ron Sitko sells those screws, weights, springs, and don't forget the little washers.
Harvey Kravitz

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

I'll see if I can find this Ron Sitko :)

The washers I have, they came with the donor!
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

found him, now I need to figure out when I can call him (does he do weekends or after 6pm calls?). Or I guess snail mail him - boo.
-----------
Richard

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

Took a chance and called him up, real nice fellow. His answering machine picked up and I started to leave a message but he picked up!! I had flashbacks calling up my Dad!

Anyways Ron only has the stainless steel ones :(

So ya. The hunt is still on!
-----------
Richard

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey Odie,

Before you get too carried away, try getting some Birchwood-Casey Gun Blue. It's an acid that will treat the screws to the right color. Some of the guys here on the Forum told me about it and boom, now I can make rusty old screws or dull, faded ones look right.

By the way, don't tear your "donor" machine up too much. You might be able to get it running again, too, and then sell it off and cut yourself a nice refund--not to mention, salvage two Eagle graphophones. With your eye for detail, I'm sure both will be nice restorations.

But what do I know? Have fun!

Charles

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

Thank you for that tip, I just searched on that and I see what you are talking about. That might be doable and should be fun to try on these tiny screws!

The donor was not in awful shape to be honest, busted spring being its 1st issue and the 2nd I wanted its parts. The lid is in awesome shape but it makes me wonder if someone lacquered it up (it's so shiny). But oddly it will not fix on my base, its ever so slightly narrower (lid hooks will not go into my base slots). But the biggest problem is that I needed its arm. My arm could not keep the "trunnion" on, since the screw hole seems to be stripped. It's always been a problem since the day I go it but Loctite stopped working a few days ago. I was scared to death taking it apart to make the swap but I started on the donor 1st.

Now I could have easily made mine the donor. But with mine I have family history, while my grandmother gave it to me, it was my uncle's who passed unexpectedly. Plus my nickel is in somewhat better shape and I like how I have black screws :-)

Again, thank you for that Birchwood-Casey Gun Blue tip!!
-----------
Richard

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

I have heated screws many times with a torch until glowing red hot and then quenched them in a little bowl of oil... They instantly take on a nice blue/black color that I think you would be pleased with,,, I found that polishing the heads first even works better.

Got nothing to lose by testing a couple screws with this technique.

Good luck

Blizz

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

yet another good idea and basically free too!

I assume you mean clean motor oil (like 10w 30)?
-----------
Richard

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

yep,,, even dirty oil will work but I've always use new stuff,,, don't need much at all,,, you can heat the bolt/screw numerous times..

nothing to lose

blizz