A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Re: A couple progress pics of my 1917 VV-XI

Post by Jwb88 »

I think it looks good! The longer I'm in this hobby the more I appreciate things with the original finish, blemishes and roughness and all. Everybody's different (and I think since the 1950s people have been raised with ultra-glossy plastic furniture so it skews expectations). I've refinished several that were in terrible condition, but my favorites are still the originals, by far. There's a certain honestly about leaving an old thing as it is found, and it can really add unexpected character to the modern landscape.

I have a Victrola X that I occasionally play. Every time I do, I'm impressed with the sound and I just can't part with it.
Keep what you like and enjoy it--and thanks for not parting it out on Ebay.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

A little O/T but the record I’m playing in the video is “Slippery Hank” by Earl Fuller’s Famous Jazz Band with Ted Lewis on The clarinet. I cannot image the reaction towards such a hot sounding record when it was released in the summer of 1917. Lol.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well I’m crossing my fingers hoping this machine and my other floor models aren’t going to be ruined by this stupid flood! : :evil: :(

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Crap, flooding.

Andy, while I can't help you cheat the laws of nature, I can suggest going and scrounging some large cinder blocks or bricks or chunks of wood--and putting all your phonographs on blocks.

You can also use bed risers. As long as the feet are out of the water they will probably be salvageable--unless there is mold or the house falls in.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Crap, flooding.

Andy, while I can't help you cheat the laws of nature, I can suggest going and scrounging some large cinder blocks or bricks or chunks of wood--and putting all your phonographs on blocks.

You can also use bed risers. As long as the feet are out of the water they will probably be salvageable--unless there is mold or the house falls in.
Well it’s not totally severe (only a couple inches) and most of my records and machines that I can carry are upstairs and safe. I also just got word my dad’s house where the XI, 8-4, and the 111 are should be fine. But the house with the c-19 and oak XI I’m kinda nervous about. Because DDs and moisture do not mix. But hopefully it’s only a couple inches and the dds I like the most are in the top slats. Still sucks though, ice jams are no joke. I’ll see what happens on Monday when I can get back into town. Such a shame happening so close to my birthday.

ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Post by ODIE3 »

So that is what these cabinets are, VV-XI. I have one that my VV-IX sets on top of and I use the "VV-XI" as record storage. I grabbed it from my brother back in the early 90's as he was about to throw it away (he was helping some "old fellow" clear out his house).

My VV-IX is not exactly stable but it works ;-)
Attachments
IMG_1676.jpg
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.