VE Lightbulbs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rvwenger
Victor I

VE Lightbulbs

Post by rvwenger »

After reading a post in the for wanted/for sale thread. I wondered what the original bulbs looked like in a VE, and if anyone has found a replica replacement ( or have a working original)
Attachments
My light on my VE 120
My light on my VE 120

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Re: VE Lightbulbs

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

rvwenger wrote:After reading a post in the for wanted/for sale thread. I wondered what the original bulbs looked like in a VE, and if anyone has found a replica replacement ( or have a working original)
This is what mine looks like but I don't know if its original. It does have a Edison Mazda 115v 10w label
Attachments
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5285.JPG (97.45 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

For whatever my experience is worth (not much), the frosted round globe type bulbs are what I have seen in the majority of electric Victors. My 10-50 and electric XVI both came with them. My electric Louis XVI didn't have a bulb when I got it, but I was able to find very close globe type replacements like the one pictured here from a lighting store. I bought the lowest possible wattage I could, I believe they are 10 watt bulbs which is plenty sufficient. Machines like the electric 8-35 and 10-35 orthophonics used a longer bulb. I've never seen an electric Credenza or 8-30 with a light.

Hope this helps,
Sean

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

Well, the search begins for a 10 watt frosted globe vintage lamp...

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Let us know if you find one.

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

This is the style of bulb that originally came with the Electrolas. I don't know if they were always clear like this one, but I've never seen an original frosted one on an Electrola. In the 1920s Victor started including a shade that clamped onto the socket, however this shade does not fit the earlier sockets like the one on this VE-XVI. You will note that there is a half-round notch in the top of the shade to provide clearance for the tip on the bulb. You can buy new versions of the bulb, but they don't have the tip.
Attachments
Electrola-bulb.jpg
Electrola-lamp-shade.jpg
Last edited by Silvertone on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

This one is the right diameter and shape for the shroud, has the right style base and correct wattage, is incandescent, and is not clear. My late-20s big victors all came with a (seemingly original, and certainly old) example of this bulb, frosted and without the tip. The tips on vacuum tubes went away about that same time so it makes sense.

Sunlite 10G11/WH Incandescent 10-Watt, Candelabra Based, G11 Globe Bulb, White
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063DTV30/re ... KCbC7XHGBM

Clear looks cooler and somehow more vintage, and here it is:

Sunlite 10G11/CL Incandescent 10-Watt, Candelabra Based, G11 Globe Bulb, Clear
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00422ABZQ/re ... KCb4Q3CAJH

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Another 2 cents. 1st electrola I got was in 1966 . A 1920 model that looked untouched since its obsolescence, it sported a frosted edison mazda bulb with the tip.
- bill

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Another 2 cents. 1st electrola I got was in 1966 . A 1920 model that looked untouched since its obsolescence, it sported a frosted edison mazda bulb with the tip.
- bill

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Silvertone, that is a fantastic little lamp, and a fitted shade too, wow! :ugeek:
The frosted Mazda is the next best.

James.

PS: Silvertone, in the 8 o'clock position of the pictured shade, is there an opening to direct light towards to platter?