Electrophone - the first release

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Electrophone - the first release

Post by 52089 »

There has been a bit of renewed interest on Electrophone cylinder records on this board lately. Electrophone records were produced by Dennis Valente (of APSCO) and Peter Dilg. Dennis and his wife Patti used to have an antique phonograph retail store in Floral Park, NY and I was a frequent visitor and customer.

Anyway, one day Patti told me that they had started making cylinder records and they had made a few copies of a couple of titles. She also told me that they would soon be changing the packaging and labels on their boxes, and I should strongly consider buying at least one of their early efforts.

I am attaching pictures of what I am quite sure is the very first Electrophone release. This is "Crazy Rhythm", played by Vince Giordano's Nighthawks, recorded probably around 1982 or 83. This is the very early box label that was soon changed. Note that all the identifying information for the record is handwritten (and that "Rhythm" is misspelled.) These wax records were all released on Miller-Morris blanks. Later releases came out on a plastic/resin material in various colors. Some of those have held up better than other. To the best of my knowledge, this is their first release. A small strobe disk was included with the record.

If someone knows of an Electrophone discography, I would be grateful for more info.
Attachments
DSCN1247.JPG
DSCN1248.JPG
DSCN1249.JPG
DSCN1250.JPG
DSCN1251.JPG
DSCN1252.JPG
Last edited by 52089 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donniej
Victor III

Re: Electrophone - the first release

Post by donniej »

Thank you for sharing a fun piece of history. Do you have any guesses as to when and why they stopped making cylinders?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

donniej wrote:Thank you for sharing a fun piece of history. Do you have any guesses as to when and why they stopped making cylinders?
It's only a guess, but I would think it's likely that cylinder production stopped when they closed the store in Floral Park and moved upstate sometime in the 1980s. Peter Dilg attends the Wayne show regularly - perhaps you could ask him?

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Thank you for sharing. Back in the 1990’s, I had a couple of their black resin issues. One was Yankee Doodle by Billy Murray and the other was the Advertising Record by Len Spencer. It was around 1995 and Antique Phonographs supply Co. had them in their catalog, but no copies available. Patti gave me the number to Peter Dilg and he sold me those two copies. The Yankee Doodle one wore out quick. The Advertising record held up, I sold it and ended buying a copy of the record from Vulcan Cylinder Company in the U.K. since I wanted a better improved copy.

Just to think that the Electrophones have reached the age of collectability. I would think that the early wax copies would be scarce and highly collectible.

I would also be intestested in seeing a discography.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

I recall buying a bunch of Miller Morris brown cylinder blanks directly from Paul Morris and Duncan Miller in 1984 from a CLPS show. I broke a couple but the rest are intact. Miller and Morris re-issued some early Edison moulded cylinders such as George W Johnson's 1902 The Laughing Coon and a British Edison of Billy Williams singing Tickle Me Timothy. They were on a black wax. The chemical composition caused them to oxidize and they didn't wear very well.

JayandtheImp
Victor Jr

Post by JayandtheImp »

I still have a couple of Electrophone cylinders I bought back in the 1990s.
One is Turn Up The Heat, and the other is Ragtime Dance.