The Edison Advertising Record - Len Spencer

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: The Edison Advertising Record - Len Spencer

Post by FellowCollector »

AmberolaAndy wrote:It’s this light brown color. I think it might be wax. The transfer is kinda faint and there is a bit of surface noise. I guess this was early on and they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet.. :|
I bought one of these same advertising cylinders back in the 1990's. I was so happy to finally own ANY copy of the cylinder...and then I played it.

I was so disappointed with the weak sound and surface noise that I didn't even play it all the way through. I put it back in the box and have never played it again. I immediately thought to myself, "well there's another purchase blunder I made". Every time I look at that cylinder today I'm compelled to toss it out but then I remember that I paid a premium price for it (can't recall how much but it wasn't cheap) so it remains a shelf queen. It's possible that mine was simply a poor transfer and some copies are better. I can only speak for mine.

Several years later I was fortunate to find an original Edison Advertising Record in a large group of cylinders I purchased. Now that was exciting and it was very enjoyable too!

Doug

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

FellowCollector wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:It’s this light brown color. I think it might be wax. The transfer is kinda faint and there is a bit of surface noise. I guess this was early on and they haven’t worked out all the kinks yet.. :|
I bought one of these same advertising cylinders back in the 1990's. I was so happy to finally own ANY copy of the cylinder...and then I played it.

I was so disappointed with the weak sound and surface noise that I didn't even play it all the way through. I put it back in the box and have never played it again. I immediately thought to myself, "well there's another purchase blunder I made". Every time I look at that cylinder today I'm compelled to toss it out but then I remember that I paid a premium price for it (can't recall how much but it wasn't cheap) so it remains a shelf queen. It's possible that mine was simply a poor transfer and some copies are better. I can only speak for mine.

Several years later I was fortunate to find an original Edison Advertising Record in a large group of cylinders I purchased. Now that was exciting and it was very enjoyable too!

Doug
Oh well. I’ll chalk it up as a learning experience. Still a collectors item because these were the first new cylinders made after many decades of inactivity.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

I did not know such a cylinder had been created. Fun now I wish I had one. Neil

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Duncan from Vulcan Records.com has been selling them (Edison Advertising Record by Len Spencer)for at least the last 7 years.. They are all made out of Modern Resin, Practically Bulletproof, and very reasonably priced.

You buy them from him at his UK website. See weblink below:

https://www.vulcanrecords.com/shop/spec ... ng-record/

PS: I just saw that he is "Out of Stock" of them... I am more than sure that he will make more...but don't know when..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

NEFaurora wrote:Duncan from Vulcan Records.com has been selling them (Edison Advertising Record by Len Spencer)for at least the last 7 years.. They are all made out of Modern Resin, Practically Bulletproof, and very reasonably priced.

You buy them from him at his UK website. See weblink below:

https://www.vulcanrecords.com/shop/spec ... ng-record/

PS: I just saw that he is "Out of Stock" of them... I am more than sure that he will make more...but don't know when..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

I also have a copy of The Advertising Record from Vulcan. It is a nicely done recording with plenty of volume.