Do any of you look back to your first posts?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Do any of you look back to your first posts?

Post by fran604g »

I was searching for a discussion I had to refresh my memory, as I frequently need to do, and went all the way back to my earliest posts - beginning in March 2013. Now that's only a little more than 6 years ago, and just a few days after my very first purchased talking machine: the mahogany VV-XVI "E" I still own and love. I was inquiring about the correct crank, and had a few other questions for the community. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=12165.

I already owned a Home Model B we inherited in 1986 from my wife's grandmother, and 3 portable disc machines (one was an HMV 101, the other 2 were relative crap) I took in with a trade deal several years earlier - involving my Ruger Redhawk .44 Rem Mag deer hunting revolver, and a friend's father's truckload of very desired electronics - but, I wasn't really interested in doing much with any of them at the time.

I was received here, as I hope I do for other new members, very well and politely. In that early post I stated, "I'm not a serious collector, by any means." Man, how that has changed! :D

BTW, I still feel like a noob in many ways. ;)

I also noticed a few familiar names I came to enjoy interacting with, but haven't seen around in a while. Two such folks are De Soto Frank (last activity 6/10/2018), and FloridaClay (last activity 2/8/2019, but not many posts last year). Anyone seen or heard from them lately? I hope they're both doing well!

Best,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

coyote
Victor II

Re: Do any of you look back to your first posts?

Post by coyote »

I've looked back, often cringing at my posts. :)

fran604g wrote: In that early post I stated, "I'm not a serious collector, by any means." Man, how that has changed!
Indeed, and I'm certainly glad of it, too! Thanks for your excellent and informative contributions, especially "sleuthing" the C250/C19.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Quoting Fran's first post: "I'm not a serious collector, by any means."

That didn't last long, did it? :lol: :lol:

(And yes, I do review my old posts from time to time.)

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

coyote wrote:I've looked back, often cringing at my posts. :)

fran604g wrote: In that early post I stated, "I'm not a serious collector, by any means." Man, how that has changed!
Indeed, and I'm certainly glad of it, too! Thanks for your excellent and informative contributions, especially "sleuthing" the C250/C19.
Thank you so much for the kind words Bill! What...no love for William Gillette? The poor guy. ;) :lol:

-Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote:Quoting Fran's first post: "I'm not a serious collector, by any means."

That didn't last long, did it? :lol: :lol:

(And yes, I do review my old posts from time to time.)
It surely did not. I'm still a bit surprised when I look around and not only have what I think is a relatively nice (to my eyes) collection, but then I realize it isn't just for showing off to my neighbors, I actually enjoy and understand their historical significance - and that's what it's all about for me, I think. :) I've never done that with a "hobby" before.

I blame George. :ugeek: :D :lol:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:
I blame George. :ugeek: :D :lol:
Ididn'tdoitnobodysawmedoityoucan'tproveIdidit...

George P.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Isn't that equivalent to contemplating one's navel?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Governor Flyball wrote:Isn't that equivalent to contemplating one's navel?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It might be! I'd hate to think it might be as examining something more embarrassing. ;)

Fran

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

For some of us, our first posts were >20 years ago on earlier forums such as Mark Best's OTVMMB that no longer exist, and subsequent forums such as Matt Brown's Edison Board or that clunky yahoo-hosted phono board with the nearly impossible to reach administrator.

This forum has been in existence for over 10 years now, and despite the departure of its founder some years ago, Brandon, the current admin has kept it going quite well.
Best regards ... AZ*

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Just to jog your memory...
Attachments
OTVMMB First Posts.jpg