VV-IX, what kind of wood?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
tesch1932
Victor I
Personal Text: I'm Steve

VV-IX, what kind of wood?

Post by tesch1932 »

Hi, I have what is probably a silly question:

Is the mahogany VV-IX cabinet made from solid mahogany or laminate?

More specifically, are the feet and bottom panel solid mahogany, or a different kind of wood?

Thanks!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: VV-IX, what kind of wood?

Post by Jerry B. »

Most high quality furniture is made using veneers in the highly visible areas. This is true with all but the cheapest Victrolas. Your Victrola IX is a quality piece of cabinetry and surfaces like the lid top, doors, and sides are all veneer. Some parts less visible like the area around the motor board or feet may be solid mahogany. The curved pieces that form the sides of the lid are solid mahogany and the cabinet workers were very careful to select choice pieces of mahogany because this area is highly visible.

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

More specifically, are the feet and bottom panel solid mahogany, or a different kind of wood?
That's a really good question. We had a thread some time ago about Circassian Victrolas. It was my opinion that the Victor Cabinet Department used non-Circassian wood for some parts of the cabinet that were not highly visible. I believe a good cabinet worker can match color so that was not an issue. Other very experienced collectors thought the whole cabinet was made from Circassian walnut. I could certainly be wrong. But the grain of wood cut for beautiful veneers looks much different than dimensionally cut wood.

The Victor O is an interesting machine. Do most collectors think it was made from mahogany? A Victor catalog reads "Victor O, Price $17.50, Mahogany finished cabinet..." A Victor IV in the same catalog reads "Victor IV, Price $50, Mahogany cabinet..." A Victor O was made from a less expensive wood than mahogany. But the finish sure makes it look like a mahogany machine.

Jerry Blais

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

Very interesting questions.
I disassembled a junk VV-X mahogany cabinet and found the unstained parts of the legs to be a green color, like poplar. The legs and motor boards are usually solids, and judging by the unstained colors of the wood on these parts it must be a mix of mahogany and poplar solids. I noticed that the wood used for the core on the veneered sides on this machine were oak! It would be interesting to dissect an oak cabinet to see how much is oak.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

the core on the veneered sides on this machine were oak!
Some years ago I helped a friend move his phono collection. (Yes, I'm the friend with a strong back and a weak mind. ;) We moved a Brunswick upright and a short time later moved a Victrola is a similar size. I remember that the Victrola was substantially heavier. Some time later I was given a big upright Victrola that had been in a fire. After salvaging good parts I broke up the main portion of the cabinet and discovered the core of the mahogany machine was oak. That explained the difference in weight between the Brunswick and similarly sized Victrola.

Veneers can make an object quiet durable. The Victor spearpoint horn with several layers of thin wood is much more rugged than a Music Master horn that is glued on edge. Solid wood has a tendency to warp. But If you apply a layer of veneer on the front and back it is much less likely to warp.

Jerry Blais

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:
the core on the veneered sides on this machine were oak!
Some years ago I helped a friend move his phono collection. (Yes, I'm the friend with a strong back and a weak mind. ;) We moved a Brunswick upright and a short time later moved a Victrola is a similar size. I remember that the Victrola was substantially heavier. Some time later I was given a big upright Victrola that had been in a fire. After salvaging good parts I broke up the main portion of the cabinet and discovered the core of the mahogany machine was oak. That explained the difference in weight between the Brunswick and similarly sized Victrola.

Veneers can make an object quiet durable. The Victor spearpoint horn with several layers of thin wood is much more rugged than a Music Master horn that is glued on edge. Solid wood has a tendency to warp. But If you apply a layer of veneer on the front and back it is much less likely to warp.

Jerry Blais
Crossing grains in laminated layers adds strength and resists warping and shrinking due to the "barriers" of laminating glue between the layers. This practice begat modern plywood.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tesch1932
Victor I
Personal Text: I'm Steve

Post by tesch1932 »

Thank you for all the input. I carefully scratched the underside of one of the feet, and yes, I looks like mahogany to me!

I asked because the VV-IX I have is missing it's bottom panel, so I'd like to replace it.

So we are thinking poplar for the unseen parts?