What Edison Cylinder Machine do I have?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: What Edison Cylinder Machine do I have?

Post by Phonofreak »

One question about the S/N on the data plate. Would there be an "F" stamped after the S/N? I have model D's in Gems, Standards, Homes and Triumphs. The Model E's had that letter. My Standard Model F also has the letter stamped. Was the Home different than the rest?
Harvey Kravitz

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

There is an F after the serial number of this a home.

Rich Gordon

Williameledge
Victor Jr

Post by Williameledge »

Thanks for all the information!

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Phonofreak wrote:One question about the S/N on the data plate. Would there be an "F" stamped after the S/N? I have model D's in Gems, Standards, Homes and Triumphs. The Model E's had that letter. My Standard Model F also has the letter stamped. Was the Home different than the rest?
Harvey Kravitz
The Home data plate types progressed rather like those of the Standard. There also were type 7 plates with the model type in a window at the top (used only on the Model C), type 8 plates (for "Combination Type" machines) with the window at the bottom as well as a type 9 plate (with window at top) that references "Thomas A. Edison, Inc.".

The type 6 plate on this Home was originally used on the Model B. This is another example of Edison using up obsolete parts - in this case by adding the Model letter as a suffix to the right of the serial number. Sprinkled throughout the production of models D thru F we very often see the type 6 plate with the model type suffix. Judging by how often we see these, Edison must have had a large surplus of these plates. The model F seems to primarily have the type 6 or type 9 plates with a few type 8 plates here or there.

Martin

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Got it. I didn't see the "F" at first. It was very faint. It's very interesting seeing late phonographs using older, obsolete parts. I see the same practice with Victor and especially Columbia
Harvey Kravitz

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

outune wrote:My 2 cents as the owner of an "F" and from reading Frow--

The Home F was intended as a 4-minute only machine, equipped with a Diamond B reproducer in a horizontal carriage. The 2/4 gearing was locked into 4 minute mode by a simple, small spacer on the shaft that will not allow it to shift into 2 minute mode. The same top casting from a D or E was used-- If you look carefully, the gold stenciled 2/4 directional marking just in front of the pulley may have been painted over at the factory since it will not shift to 2 minutes. That was done to mine, and it looks like it may be the case on the poster's machine as well.

It is very easy to simply remove the small spacer and convert it back to 2/4. The poster's F looks to have been converted to 2/4 and a slant-front carriage added.

The machine looks very nice-- the horn is messed up, but that's a minor detail-- The "F" machines don't turn up very often.

Brad Abell
There was an additional modification to the Model F pulley/clutch assembly. The clutch that was moved back and forth to engage 2 and 4 minute modes was modified by eliminating the little pegs that would engage the holes in the pulley for 2 minute mode. Without those little pegs, you cannot enter 2 minute mode, the drive screw will not spin at all and the carriage will not move. You will need to get another clutch piece with the pegs.

Took me a while to figure that out when I tried to convert an F to 2/4 minute mode.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

My Model F was also missing the pins for 2-minute cylinders. I carefully drilled holes and made the pins by cutting pieces from the shank of a 1/16" drill bit and used epoxy to hold them in place....so far so good. My reproducer appears to be a Diamond B and the only numbers appear to be a serial number (A24707). Is that likely to be the original reproducer or a later addition? Also the carriage lift on mine is a lever instead of the push-button. I have always assume that the horn that was included is not the original. It looks like photos I have seen of the horn for maybe a Fireside?? The crane was missing but the mounting bracket on the back was there......the crane I ordered wasn't correct...thus my ugly modification. Any input/info will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Carriage Lever
Carriage Lever
Horn
Horn
Top of reproducer
Top of reproducer
ID Plate
ID Plate

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

randymullx wrote:My Model F was also missing the pins for 2-minute cylinders. I carefully drilled holes and made the pins by cutting pieces from the shank of a 1/16" drill bit and used epoxy to hold them in place
Clever! :)
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8