WANTED: Horn Crane Part

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Crank_it_up
Victor III

WANTED: Horn Crane Part

Post by Crank_it_up »

I am looking for just the top section of an unusual horn crane. I have also pictured a complete unit but I need only the top section shown below with the tape measure pictured. Any condition will do and it doesn't have to be exact length. Thanks in advance for any help. Joe
Attachments
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: WANTED: Horn Crane Part

Post by Phonofreak »

I hope that I am not hijacking this thread. I never saw a crane like this before. How did it fit on the case? Was it for a Columbia, Edison, or both?
Harvey Kravitz

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Phonofreak wrote:I hope that I am not hijacking this thread. I never saw a crane like this before. How did it fit on the case? Was it for a Columbia, Edison, or both?
Harvey Kravitz
This only fits Edison machines. You attach it by putting the end through the lid escutcheon, and engaging the lid lock.

Martin

(I found this picture from an old post about one for sale, the owners put the crane on the wrong side but you get the idea)
Attachments
brown gramophone2.jpg
brown gramophone2.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Thanks for the pictures. I guess the the little prongs fit into the escutcheon slot. Then the latch holds this in place. I just learned something new. I never saw anything like this before. Who manufactured these cranes?
Harvey Kravitz

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Like Joe I only have the short piece that attaches to the slot in the motor board. Hope someone can help him out and then someone else can help me :)

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Phonofreak wrote:Thanks for the pictures. I guess the the little prongs fit into the escutcheon slot. Then the latch holds this in place. I just learned something new. I never saw anything like this before. Who manufactured these cranes?
Harvey Kravitz
I believe these cranes were made for a short period of time by the "Babson Bros Company" to go along with their horns.
Kent in KC wrote:Like Joe I only have the short piece that attaches to the slot in the motor board. Hope someone can help him out and then someone else can help me :)

Do you have the middle piece that joins the the 2 sections? If so, I could probably remanufacture the straight rod with the divots and hanger.

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Martin is correct - - these cranes were marketed (although probably not made) by Babson Brothers. Here is an image I copied from the Internet a few years ago:
Crane.jpg
Note that there's no middle piece; it's a 2-piece crane.

George P.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

phonogfp wrote:
Note that there's no middle piece; it's a 2-piece crane.

George P.
By "the middle piece" I'm referring to the door knob shape in the middle. I'm curious as to how it is disassembled, and if it can be separated in 2 or 3 parts.

Martin

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Martin, the “door knob” piece is soldered to the top section. The top rod is straight with an attaching point for a chain at the other end. Thanks for your offer to make the piece. I’ll try to get more pics up tomorrow.
Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Mormon S wrote:
By "the middle piece" I'm referring to the door knob shape in the middle. I'm curious as to how it is disassembled, and if it can be separated in 2 or 3 parts.

Martin
Sorry, I misunderstood. Here are photos of the cast joint and the distinctive hanger...

George P.
Bcrane1.JPG
Bcrane2.JPG
Bcrane3.JPG