Restoring the VE 9-55 and VE 9-25 Amplifiers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Restoring the VE 9-55 and VE 9-25 Amplifiers

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

It’s been over 30 years since I last worked on electronics and that was on the first of its kind and state of the art data switching systems used to make up the early internet of the 80s. Now it’s time to dig in on that of a much earlier time and am basically starting my electronic studies all over again with a complete focus on early tube radios and phonograph amplifiers. I’ve finished reading my first book and am now starting with with two VE 9-55 (AP-997A) and two VE 9-25 (AP-947A) ampliers. I’ve ordered the capacitors and resisters. I will be replacing those and all the wiring (except the wires coming from the transformers). To replace the caps requires opening up the capacitor cans/boxes, removing or melting the wax, installing new caps, and sealing up the boxes. The boxes might require paint prep and repainting. Below are pictures of the 4 amps, the interior caps and choke of 4 Fuzz Filter boxes from each amp, and the 5 cap boxes opened up from just the first amp.

To accomplish this endeavor has already and surely will continue to require some insight from ours and the tube radio communities in which I am and will forever be very greatful.
Attachments
3537D0F9-3136-4C9A-8D86-5E982A5B7A6F.jpeg
FAE86208-5B17-4489-8174-4C16D79BD714.jpeg
784ABFFD-1E45-4BA7-ADBE-B2DA8A542249.jpeg
109FB833-CC26-4A8A-BDB5-454614165161.jpeg
A4438397-86F4-4997-98B4-B75CB8C4474D.jpeg
568C1BFC-8555-471E-8552-2D1FC08594E4.jpeg

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Restoring the VE 9-55 and VE 9-25 Amplifiers

Post by PeterF »

Wayne - I strongly suggest contacting Chuck Azzalina, who is extremely knowledgeable and experienced specifically on the Big Victor flavors of the Tomcat. There are enough variations across the models (and even running improvements to each model) that you can't trust your gut and often not even the published schematics.

Do you have the service notes, either separately or in the Red Book?

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Peter,

Thank you for the advisement but I already have covered these things. I have all the Victor and RCA documents (in which I reread daily now), have been consulting with ChuckA (with whom I’ve got great respect and appreciation) , and would never trust my gut in any area I’ve not previously had a thorough understanding and experience. However, similar to your reply, I seek any and all input.

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Wayne,

For reference or your amusement. Photos attached of my restoring the Tomcat Condensers/Capacitors.

Chuck is the greatest! I usually talk with him several times a week. Do whatever Chuck tells you and where to buy the parts.

In my photos below I am using up parts I had in stock in particular the 2= 10uF 600V caps in series. You do not necessairly need to go that route these days as you can get the 4uF in 1400V these days which are smaller and more economical to buy.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis, IN
Attachments
Note: Balance resistors used
Note: Balance resistors used
4mf high voltage replacement (7).JPG
2MF cap replacement in can.
2MF cap replacement in can.
Restored high voltage cap
Restored high voltage cap
4mf high voltage replacement (10).JPG
4mf high voltage replacement (9).JPG
4mf high voltage replacement (8).JPG
4MF cap as original
4MF cap as original
Tomcat amp for my Ve10-70
Tomcat amp for my Ve10-70
Last edited by electrolaman 64 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Carlton,

Fantastic! I like your methods of supporting the caps and use of the bare phenolic prototype board. Thanks for sharing.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Here’s 4 amps worth of 2uf and 4uf caps that will be brought to the hazardous waste drop off this Saturday. I can’t say that was very fun taking them out of the cans. The new 4uf cap (front left) is to replace the large ones seen in the photo below. This will knock 3.5 lbs off the weight of each machine.
Attachments
48056FBB-190E-4CD7-9EA0-826B4572C3B4.jpeg

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

This is exactly why I pulled mine out entirely, or left them in place but disconnected, and put in the modern smaller replacements. I do this for the stuff that nobody will ever see, but also leave the original stuff with it for the next owner.

Everyone gets to decide for themselves. Neither way is more correct, and I always go for the safest and quickest way back to operability.

I doubt these caps are hazardous or especially toxic, but I’m unwilling to test that!

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Peter,

I doubt these old caps are toxic too but I’ll be going to the hazardous waste drop-off anyway to get rid of dirty kerosene from previously cleaning the disassembled six type-1 changers.

I feel even with the amplifier cover on, you can see the cap cans these caps went into, if you look between the tubes and into the amp. So I’ll be installing each replacement cap in the original can. Speed of getting this done is not my focus. I’m sure I could get away with not replacing the wires with new cloth covered ones, but I just don’t like how brittle the old ones are. The same goes with the ceramic wound resistors. Since I found a few bad, I’m gonna replace them all. This adds another $60 cost for each amp just for 3 each, but I want these to be fresh. Nothing like opening the hood of your hot rod and seeing the original engine rebuilt with new electrical components that look like the originals. My reasoning however is more for safety and longevity, I hope superior sound is part of the outcome.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I don't think replacing perfectly good resistors is not going to make it sound any better.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

First off, reliability is key. I had tested a few of the resistors when they were on the amps and found a high number bad. My methods are such, if I find a bunch of rotten eggs in a carton, I’m not even going to hesitate to buy a new carton of eggs.

So, I just removed all three resistors from three of the four amps. As you know, two of three on each of these amps (AP-947A and AP-997A) have a tap that divides each into two resistors. Therefore, there are a total of five resistors on the set of three ceramic tube resistors. The values are 1400ohms/2000ohms, 300ohms/520ohms, and 2480ohms. Only the 300 ohm part of one ceramic tube resistor was good out of the set of five resistors. The other four resistors were open. This was true for the resistors for all three amps.

A far cry from “perfectly good resistors”.

New set of replacements are on the lower left of the photo below and they test as their values are suppose to be.
Attachments
A61819A3-4E2A-4C65-A7F1-41D0B989E7EA.jpeg