Victor MS vs. Victor D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Hyperion
Victor O

Victor MS vs. Victor D

Post by Hyperion »

Aside from case size -- I believe the D is just a little bit larger? -- what are the differences between a rear-mount Victor MS and a Victor D? They sure look alike to me, at least in photos. Is one generally considered more desirable than the other?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victor MS vs. Victor D

Post by Jerry B. »

The only real difference is another spring in the D plus a slightly larger horn. They share the same sound box, tone arm, and elbow. In my opinion the fancy case D is a click more expensive than the MS. If condition were equal, I would prefer and value a MS over the plain case D (Victor V style). It's nothing but my opinion but I really like the proportions of the MS. Jerry Blais

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

The things Jerry mentioned, another spring in the D plus a slightly larger horn plus 12 inch platter are the only differences I can think of and of course for those of whom size matters, the D can accommodate that humungus "L" size brass bell horn. The early D seems a bit rarer than the MS.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

The Victor MS I worked on had the early three spring motor. Does the Victor D really have one more spring (four) as the later Victor V only has three as far as I know? The springs in the MS seem narrower though, maybe 1” vs 1 ¼” in later machines. Is maybe that the difference? Always curious. I’d love to own an MS or fancy case D....

Andreas

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I have two Victor Monarch Specials and one fancy Victor D and all have 3-spring motors. The MS has a smaller cabinet than the D and a 10" turntable versus 12" for the D. The speed control on my D has the primitive heavy bent wire whereas my MS's have a conventional thumbscrew speed control. I'm sure there are many other differences as well.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Perhaps I am wrong about the number of springs. If so, the D must have larger barrels with bigger springs giving it more duration. I'm in Spain so it's hard for my to check my basement. Jerry B.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote:Perhaps I am wrong about the number of springs. If so, the D must have larger barrels with bigger springs giving it more duration. I'm in Spain so it's hard for my to check my basement. Jerry B.
I have a similar problem. My Victors MS & D are a few thousand miles away. However acc. to the trusty Victor Data book, the MS indeed has a three spring bevel drive motor switching to the double spring spiral in 1905 about the same time as the case design change and evolution into the Victor IV.

Also luckily I have a couple pics of the MS and the D. Cannot tell for sure if they are exactly the same but the designs are certainly very similar. :monkey:
Attachments
0040VictorMSFM13.jpg
0095VictorD05_edited.jpg