I don't have the heart to paint it

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: I don't have the heart to paint it

Post by Jerry B. »

The paint job is not original, and if you repaint it again it will still not be original. If it was mine I would keep it as it is.
Epigramophone is correct but I would repaint it for the same reason. I really like the humpback Victor II and I get tired of seeing nothing but Victor horns on Victor machines. A nice aftermarket horn adds interest to a collection. And that horn has nice dimensions for the Victor II. So if (and that's a huge "if") you have the skills to accomplish a nice repaint, I say go for it! You'll always have a repainted horn but it does not have to be one that screams of a repaint.

I showed DeeDee the photo of the machine and as she looked I asked "If I came home with this horn would you expect me to repaint it?" Her very quick reply was "I hope so"! :)

Jerry Blais

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I'd say keep it as is. Somebody did a nice job with a decidedly "decorative" point of view. It ain't original, but it will never be that way again anyway. I have a blue 1913 VVXVI that manages to elude getting refinished for the same reason. If the paint job wasn't so well done... With all that said, I rather like Jerry's "two horn alternative" as well.

Best Wishes,

Martin

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I say keep it as it is. I like it and it looks great on the machine.

Jim

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

I guess ultimately it's up to chrisg to decide. Given that it may be a H&S horn, it would best be repainted in the original style. And it would depend on how much effort the owner wants to put in. Seems like a worthy project. Besides, Jerry's Dee Dee has spoken, and who can deny the lady!
:lol:

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Another option may be to sell the horn to someone that likes it, (if you don't), and get a horn that is more traditional. If everyone loved roses, what would a daisy do?

It reminds me of a wedding decoration, but that's me. If we all liked the same thing, all horns would have the same decoration. Even Edison made some horns that were not black.