European Coin Operated Gramophone. Help with Identification?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lampman5
Victor Jr
Personal Text: ID Required

European Coin Operated Gramophone. Help with Identification?

Post by Lampman5 »

Photo 3976.jpg
Photo 3976.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Hello Everyone, my first post.

I purchased this coin operated machine a couple of weeks ago and have not been able to determine the maker. The coin plate would lead me to believe it is either German or Austrian this is only a guess. Machine has issues (wrong crank, later reproducer and unfortunately it is missing the entire coin mechanism but still works and has a great look. Any information on this machine would be greatly appreciated?
Attachments
Photo 3977.jpg
Photo 3977.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Photo 3970.jpg
Photo 3970.jpg (71.94 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

Menophanes
Victor II

Re: European Coin Operated Gramophone. Help with Identificat

Post by Menophanes »

A very minor point: the heller (six of which, in the form of three two-heller pieces, had to be inserted) was an Austrian coin. Were there any specifically Austrian manufacturers? Of course the machine could have been produced in a German or Swiss factory and specially calibrated for Austrian currency.

Oliver Mundy.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

You really need to take some pictures of the motor may help?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I suspect this may be Swiss. It has a similar 'stacked' appearance to a couple of Swiss coin-ops I have seen. As Soundgen says we really need to know a bit more about the motor... it might be Paillard?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

Lampman5
Victor Jr

Post by Lampman5 »

Thanks Very Much !! That is the closest I have come so far in identifying this machine. The pictures look very similar.

I have attached a picture of the motor and the section that would have held the coin mechanism. There are no additional holes drilled in the top or side of the machine so guessing it is the original motor. Looks like it was altered /butchered when the coin mechanism was removed.

I doubt I will ever locate the parts needed to restore it to its original state but would love to find out more information on this unique machine.

Thanks Again
Steve
Attachments
Photo 5294.jpg
Photo 5294.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Photo 5295.jpg
Photo 5295.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Steve,

To be more certain there are 2 members (at least) on here who are excellent at identifying European motors and machines. 'Jaso' and 'tinovanderzwan', perhaps you could private message them and ask them to look at this thread?

I don't think you'll find the missing coin mech but maybe if you can find someone with a similar machine it could be copied. It would be worth a try.

Jamie

Lampman5
Victor Jr

Re: European Coin Operated Gramophone. Help with Identification?

Post by Lampman5 »

It has been a while but stumbled on the same coin operated machine with a slightly different horn that sold in November in a German auction.
Not sure what it sold for and unable to see the internal workings but one more step forward in identifying this machine.

Coin-Operated Gramophone, c. 1914
Brass plaque "Einwurf 3mal 2 Heller", two-tiered wood case with coin drawer in lower part, mica reproducer, large metal horn, outside repainted, Ø 22 ½ in., works, coin mechanism sticks occasionally.

Münzgrammophon, um 1914
Messingschild "Einwurf 3mal 2 Heller", zweistufiges Holzgehäuse, Unterteil mit Münz-Schublade, Glimmerschalldose, großer Metalltrichter, außen neu lackiert, Ø 57 cm, funktioniert, Münzmechanik hakt manchmal.
See link: https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots/Co ... 11.21-team

Steve
Attachments
Coin-Operated-Gramophone-c-1914_1634154127_3114.jpg
Coin-Operated-Gramophone-c-1914_1634154127_3114.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 889 times