New aquisition. Aerophone record.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

New aquisition. Aerophone record.

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Really pleased to share this newest acquisition of mine (still yet to arrive, but I will post further pictures when it does). This is a rather rare French Aerophone 78 record, manufactured around 1911/1912 or thereabouts. I really love the primitive aeroplane on the label, which shows just how primitive aircraft technology was, and very cool how it appears on this label. It's a shame that the tax stamps obscure some of the design, but is still really interesting.

A couple quick questions. Does anybody have any specific information on this company? I haven't found much, and the dates I have provided are quite rough. Also, does anybody know if this is a lateral or vertical cut record. Would like to know so I know whether it's safe to play on my gramophone (plays lateral records).

Many Thanks.
Attachments
Aerophone Record A.png
Aerophone Record B.png

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: New aquisition. Aerophone record.

Post by epigramophone »

Aerophone records are scarce, and as you have already discovered, so is any information about them.

All I can tell you is that the company was based in Paris and exported records to Britain prior to WW1. It seems that both lateral and vertical cut records were made, so close examination of the grooves should establish which type you have.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I have an Aerophone; it's an etched label vertical cut like an early Pathé and takes the Pathé sapphire ball. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if it's inside or outside start. Looking at the photos in the original post, what I can see of the grooves looks like vertical sapphire ball cut.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ That's what I said. Those records have that flush look where the grooves come up to the label.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The French Aerophone machine is the one depicted on the label of the record above. It is quite recognizable with its unique horn. They also sold internal horn table tops. Apart from the horn, the rest is pretty much like the other machines of the period.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Interesting information guys. Thanks for that. Very much appreciated. It's curious how such a scarce and, evidently, short-lived company managed to be so diverse. And by that I mean they managed to have both lateral and vertical records, records with and without paper labels, and paper labels of two different colours. Pretty interesting.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Also, if it helps, this record was purchased from a seller based in France. So does that mean that some were exported to Britain while other were simply sold locally in France?