worn diamond stylus?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

worn diamond stylus?

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've been wondering if the stylus in my Amberola 30 is maybe a bit worn, I've never quite been able to tell if it's sitting in the groove right, I don't have another to compare it to, it may be time for a new stylus
DSC02561.JPG

Victor VI

Re: worn diamond stylus?

Post by 52089 »

If you are hearing "echoing" when playing cylinders, it's time for a new stylus. If you are not hearing echoing and not seeing any damage to records, you're probably fine.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Your stylus should have a nice smooth rounded tip.

It looks flat in your photo to me, suggesting it's chipped.

And yes to what Brian said above.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

For posterity, I'm adding pics of my Diamond B #A8911 with a good stylus (first 2 images), that is presumedly original to my Amberola D-X #16297 (Note the nice smooth rounded polished tip), and my Diamond B #55667 which has a chipped stylus (last 2 images) that came with my recently acquired Amberola V #3491 (Note the flat tip).

Sorry I don't have provisions for higher res images, these were taken with my Sony Alpha A230 and a reverse lens macro set up under fluorescent lighting, and fill-in flash.

Best regards,
Fran

Diamond B #A8911
Diamond B reproducer #A 8911 zoom.JPG
Diamond B reproducer #A 8911 tight zoom.JPG
Diamond B reproducer #A 8911 tight zoom.JPG (125.34 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Diamond B #55,667
Diamond B reproducer #55,667 chipped stylus zoom.JPG
Diamond B reproducer #55,667 chipped stylus tight zoom.JPG
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I found that an old original stylus which didn't leave any lines in the run off or in the grooves still could have an effect on the overall sound quality. The crisp clear sound of a perfect stylus when new is degraded some just though normal wear and tear on the diamond. It is sort of like a steel needle which is starting to wear, the sound just seems fuzzy or off a bit. So long as you get a good quality new stylus it won't hurt any and I would bet there would be a difference in the sound quality.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Thanks, I managed to get some better pictures, but it's still hard to tell, if it's not too expensive maybe a new stylus is a worthwhile investment
DSC02564.JPG
DSC02567.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

kirtley2012 wrote:Thanks, I managed to get some better pictures, but it's still hard to tell, if it's not too expensive maybe a new stylus is a worthwhile investment
DSC02564.JPG
DSC02567.JPG
It still looks flat to me. Sorry to say. If you value any of your BA's, you shouldn't use it any longer.

Best,
Fran

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

fran604g wrote:
kirtley2012 wrote:Thanks, I managed to get some better pictures, but it's still hard to tell, if it's not too expensive maybe a new stylus is a worthwhile investment
DSC02564.JPG
DSC02567.JPG
It still looks flat to me. Sorry to say. If you value any of your BA's, you shouldn't use it any longer.

Best,
Fran
Glad I found out before I play my favourite polk Miller records much longer, where can I find a new diamond stylus?

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

kirtley2012 wrote:
fran604g wrote:
DSC02564.JPG
DSC02567.JPG

Best,
Fran
Glad I found out before I play my favourite polk Miller records much longer, where can I find a new diamond stylus?
I know Wyatt Markus (MicaMonster) rebuilds these. If it were me, I'd contact him first and get his opinion.

Cheers,
Fran

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"If you are hearing "echoing" when playing cylinders, it's time for a new stylus."

Not necessarily. I have found quite a few Diamond Stylus Reproducers in the past that if the Adjustment Screw up top is tightened too tight that the lower part of the Reproducer is frozen and has no "Horizontal" movement... that it will also produce echoing....just like a worn stylus. If the reproducer has good lower "Horizontal" movement and it still produces echoing, then "Yes", The Stylus is surely shot.

...But ALWAYS check the lower "Horizontal" movement first. If the lower part of the Reproducer can move side to side, then you should be good if the STYLUS is still good.

You can usually tell by a good visual look through a Jewler's loupe also.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer