Union Advice

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Union Advice

Post by Jerry B. »

In my opinion now is the time to say what you'd like to find at Union. This is particularly true for parts and uprights or big internal horn machines. If you need a certain part say it now and you might scare it out of the woodwork. Every year I'm asked if I have certain part and I have to reply it's back in Oregon. I share Union booth space and I can't bring everything.

Every year I hear a comment from someone looking for a very clean Victrola and they follow up by saying there isn't much of a selection for the specific model desired. And there is a reason. Booths are small and uprights take up space. If my Victor IV is more expensive than Brice's and mine doesn't sell, I don't mind bringing mine home. I do mind taking a nice Victrola XVI on a road trip from Oregon to Union and back again.

OK, I'll be the first:

I am a cash buyer for a clean Vernis Martin Victrola XVI. My price range is $7,000 to $8,000. Can anyone bring one to Union?

Happy Collecting, Jerry Blais

Hailey
Victor III

Re: Union Advice

Post by Hailey »

Thanks for the thread Jerry!
I’m in the market for a clean, original lyre grill oak Amberola 1A. Also, an Edison Home under glass.
Finally...anything related to the Edison Doll. Also, one of the replica mechanisms that were made years ago.
Thanks so much!

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I’m also looking for an Amberola 1A Lyre grill. If anyone has one please Pam me.

Rich Gordon

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The vv-IX I own is missing a needle cup with cover. They are common on Ebay, but I will wait for Union. I'm going to try to find a A250 and vv-IX reprinted manual which I tried to find last year, but Mr Valecnik was out to lunch? It's hard to find individuals. Whats needed is a booth map. I would like to hear a vv 8-12 playing and hear the difference with a vv 8-30. There's going to be an orthophonic machine in my future, but which one? Always on the lookout for jazz records.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Union Advice

Post by Chuck »

Bring lots of money.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

audiophile102 wrote:The vv-IX I own is missing a needle cup with cover. They are common on Ebay, but I will wait for Union. I'm going to try to find a A250 and vv-IX reprinted manual which I tried to find last year, but Mr Valecnik was out to lunch? It's hard to find individuals. Whats needed is a booth map. I would like to hear a vv 8-12 playing and hear the difference with a vv 8-30. There's going to be an orthophonic machine in my future, but which one? Always on the lookout for jazz records.
Not out to lunch but didn't set up so surely was hard to find. :monkey:

I've still got a few of the A-250 manuals left. If you still want one, ask Jerry B. to point me out or maybe I can leave one with Jerry for you. Details at the link.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=18987

ticticdok
Victor III

Post by ticticdok »

I'm always in the market for any Kalamazoo Duplex parts...

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Hope that restaurant is better then two years ago. For a lousy sandwich my buddy and I waited about one and a half hours. I was young when we sat down. On top of that the French fries were cold so must have sat in the back for a while. Once this decade for Union was enough for me! lol

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

vansteem78 wrote:Hope that restaurant is better then two years ago. For a lousy sandwich my buddy and I waited about one and a half hours. I was young when we sat down. On top of that the French fries were cold so must have sat in the back for a while. Once this decade for Union was enough for me! lol
The few times I ate there, it was generally bad - crummy food & poor service. I thought Donleys closed it down.

My buddy and I usually eat lunch offsite. There are multiple options a short drive away.
Best regards ... AZ*

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The Donleys did close down the restaurant a few years back. However it has now been leased to a new operator who has very big plans for it. They will be offering full service again this year, presumably with a whole new menu and crew.