Please help with identifying this motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Please help with identifying this motor

Post by FellowCollector »

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of the European (German?) disc phonograph that I have and that I would appreciate help with identifying. The motor is not currently working and I want to get it repaired. I'm thinking Ron Sitko would be an excellent choice to get it working. The gears and governor all operate perfectly and smoothly. I'm thinking the main spring is broken or unhooked but the main reason I want him to repair it is that I'm not familiar with the coil spring concept for securing the crank in position under tension as many European phonographs use. The ratchet gear concept for retaining spring motor tension is what I'm used to working on. If anyone here can enlighten me on how the coil spring tension works please do as I can't understand how a coil spring wrapped around a crank shaft can maintain mainspring tension. :? To me it seems like a coil spring wrapped around a shaft should let the shaft tension just pass right through it. :?

Anyway, here's the pictures of the phonograph. Please let me know what you think I have here. I love the horn which is why I wanted it (along with the Herzog 813 cabinet)! :)

Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
European Disc Phono-1.JPG
European Disc Phono reproducer-tonearm-back mount.JPG

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Here's an Odeon gramophone that appears to be fitted with the same style turntable and sound box: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... odeon-wood
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.21 KiB) Viewed 835 times
2Capture.JPG
2Capture.JPG (36.53 KiB) Viewed 835 times
I also searched ROMI, and found a few similar models by Parlophone -- http://www.romfi.com/category.cfm?Categ ... 0%20%20%0A -- but nothing matching the one you have.

OrthoFan

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Thanks OrthoFan! So what I have may be an Odeon or a Parlophone model. Now I need to get the motor working. I sincerely appreciate your help as well as everyone else who has provided some input. Any additional input is always welcome too.

Doug

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

FellowCollector wrote:...I'm thinking the main spring is broken or unhooked but the main reason I want him to repair it is that I'm not familiar with the coil spring concept for securing the crank in position under tension as many European phonographs use. The ratchet gear concept for retaining spring motor tension is what I'm used to working on. If anyone here can enlighten me on how the coil spring tension works please do as I can't understand how a coil spring wrapped around a crank shaft can maintain mainspring tension. :? To me it seems like a coil spring wrapped around a shaft should let the shaft tension just pass right through it....
The coil spring is wrapped tightly around the crank shaft and is secured to the motor or chassis at one end. The idea is that while winding the friction between shaft and spring will slightly open the coils and thus turn easily. In the other direction the friction between coil and shaft would have the effect of tightening the coil, gripping the shaft tigher thus stopping it from turning back. That's the best I can explain it. A similar principle is used with extendable shower curtain rods, except that there the coil is inside.

Hope that helps.
Andreas

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Thank you Andreas! That makes perfect sense. I do see a coil spring wrapped around the crank shaft on my motor here so I'm hoping one end is still secured to the motor casting.

Doug