Help - Amberola Main Spring Barrel

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Frank W
Victor Jr

Help - Amberola Main Spring Barrel

Post by Frank W »

I have been working on an Amberola 30 for some time. This week I assembled it to give it a test run and found that it ran backwards.

When I turn the winding crank, it doesn’t wind the spring. After taking it apart I found that the click assembly is working correctly. I can wind the barrel in my hands and recognize power; however, it is in the wrong direction.

I have removed the winding gear and the center arbor but can’t seem to get the barrel open. I am wondering if the end of the spring is catching or if it has come loose from the barrel.
Please help me understand how the barrel comes open and how the spring should be arranged inside.
Attachments
20190513_150733.jpg
20190513_150748.jpg

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Help - Amberola Main Spring Barrel

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

My suggestion is to call Ron Sitko for help. His telephone number is in the links section of the forum.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Under the gear is a plate that is held to the barrel by 3 tabs which are bent over the edge of the barrel. They need to be carefully bent back to gain access to the spring.

Jim

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

It sounds like a previous owner installed the Mainspring in the Mainspring Barrel upside down... Just a guess...

You are turning the outside Hand crank in a Clockwise direction....Right?!???

Just asking..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

As I turn the winding crank clockwise, the spring barrel turns counter (anti) clockwise. I hold the drive gear and the spring does not wind. Listening carefully I can't hear the spring slipping over a catch on the inside of the barrel.

Maybe the center of the spring has come off it's catch?

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

Welcome to the inside of this spring barrel!!

Thank you Phonojim for the key. (I think)

I have seen this happen inside a spring barrel on a music box when there was a runaway (machine spinning at an un-governed speed). The spring end has unwound, hopped off the center tab and caught on itself. No way to release it but to open the spring barrel and release it.

Now I am thinking the main spring will need to come out and reinstalled after everything is cleaned and re-lubricated properly. I have removed and re-installed large music box springs.

The question is: what is this lubricant?
Attachments
20190514_083855.jpg
20190514_083835.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Frank W wrote:Welcome to the inside of this spring barrel!!

Thank you Phonojim for the key. (I think)

I have seen this happen inside a spring barrel on a music box when there was a runaway (machine spinning at an un-governed speed). The spring end has unwound, hopped off the center tab and caught on itself. No way to release it but to open the spring barrel and release it.

Now I am thinking the main spring will need to come out and reinstalled after everything is cleaned and re-lubricated properly. I have removed and re-installed large music box springs.

The question is: what is this lubricant?
Yes, the spring had to come out, but be very careful, the spring can rapidly unwind out of the barrel and reek havoc. The original spring grease is a mix of 10:1 vaseline and graphite powder. The topic of grease choices is very controversial, but you cant go wrong with the original formula.

In my experience, Mobil-1 grease works extremely well for 1 spring Edison motors, but others here might oppose.

Martin

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

The Lubricant is an Original 1 to 1 (1:1) Ratio of Vaseline to Black Graphite. It's Edison's Original Formula. It works, but it's an unholy mess and Modern Lubricants work much better.

I and a few others tend to go with Castrol GTX Brown Bearing Grease in a Tub. The container looks like this pictured below. It's a wonderful modern alternative, looks great, works fabulous and won't break down...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Attachments
Castol GTX Bearing Grease.jpg
Castol GTX Bearing Grease.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

After I get the mess clean up, then I will have to consider the lubricant. Thanks all for the input. I have graphite and Vaseline. Will look into the Castrol bearing grease.

Applied in the barrel, then on the spring, (wind the spring back into the barrel) then a glob in the barrel over the spring for good measure. Does that sound about right?

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

... and the reason for this screw opening?
Attachments
20190514_111226.jpg