Victor VI valuation

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victor VI valuation

Post by Jerry B. »

Is there another Forum member who's first machine was a Victor VI?

Jerry

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

I would like to express my appreciation to all whom have offered invaluable information and guidance!

I realize this machine is a coveted by collectors. Honestly, I felt rather embarrassed coming to the forum after having come-across it via sheer luck, rather than a successful hunt borne of accumulation of knowledge and diligence. In any event, I am grateful to have it and eager to learn more about this machine and others to come.

Fortunately, I possess a background in metal sculpting, where I developed an appreciation for natural patinas. That being said, I am pleased to learn that a light clean-up is all that is needed, as I truly enjoy the character the machine's patina reveals.

When it comes to refurbishing the motor and reproducer, entrusting the task to someone with the proper skills is obviously of paramount concern. Speaking to that point, can someone please offer some suggestions?

Thanks again!!!

Dino

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

dbwest wrote:
When it comes to refurbishing the motor and reproducer, entrusting the task to someone with the proper skills is obviously of paramount concern. Speaking to that point, can someone please offer some suggestions?

Thanks again!!!

Dino
The Links section of the board has info about reliable repair people. The names that come up most frequently are Ron Sitko, Wyatt Markus (MicaMonster on this board), George Vollema, and Walt Sommers, but there are others.

Should you wish to do some of the work yourself, the board has a search function that will give you many ideas about how to proceed, and also how not to proceed.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Jerry B. wrote:Is there another Forum member who's first machine was a Victor VI?

Jerry
I wish... :(

Andreas

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

What a first machine to own! Most of us started out with a beat up portable or Victrola VV-IV or similar machine. Congratulations. I would like to hear more about how you just found it in a building. Was the building abandoned for years?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

dbwest wrote:I would like to express my appreciation to all whom have offered invaluable information and guidance!

I realize this machine is a coveted by collectors. Honestly, I felt rather embarrassed coming to the forum after having come-across it via sheer luck, rather than a successful hunt borne of accumulation of knowledge and diligence. In any event, I am grateful to have it and eager to learn more about this machine and others to come.

Fortunately, I possess a background in metal sculpting, where I developed an appreciation for natural patinas. That being said, I am pleased to learn that a light clean-up is all that is needed, as I truly enjoy the character the machine's patina reveals.

Thanks again!!!

Dino

Please, we need stories! Finding a Victor VI in an old building, especially in that condition, is the dream of most collectors. And there's no shame in finding one by luck. I gave up on finding a Victor horn model until I got super lucky with an online auction (someone had one still in the box & threw it in the Denver goodwill, which auctioned it online.)

But legwork is a lot more interesting--makes a better story. Do give it to us!

(And the Victor VI should be a nice machine fixed up & playing. My Victor is a III, rather plain & small but really a nice little phonograph for listening to my 1910-1925 stuff.)

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

I am happy to share the story.

The Victor belonged to my neighbor and friend. He was an eccentric older fella and quite wealthy. Over the years, he had built himself a ghost town, consisting of several individual buildings, including a saloon and jail!

Unfortunately, he was not in good health and passed away a few years ago. I had been aware of an old record player in the ghost town's lounge room for several years, I simply never bothered to look at the ID plate. And, truth be told, didn't have any interest back then. I am quite certain the machine belonged to his father, who made his fortune in stocks and real estate in San Francisco during the prohibition era.

Since his passing, I have helped to take care of the property. Recently, the decision was made to clean up the property and put it on the market. This inspired me to have a closer look at few items I felt may be collectible – including the old record player. It was at this juncture, that I endeavored to dust-off the ID plate, began researching online and fortunately arriving here. His wife has no interest in antiques and was willing to let the Vic go to me.

I also learned that there was a cabinet that matched the Vic, but it had been given away to a lady friend back in the 90's. I have already discovered that the lucky recipient of the cabinet has also passed away, however, her son appears to reside in the home. So, I may attempt to contact him on the off-chance the cabinet is still around.

Perhaps another chapter to the story will unfold...

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Neat story. Thank you for sharing. I hope you can get the cabinet and show us some pics of the pair, reunited once again. Just out of curiosity, what other cool items did you find? If you dont want it to ruin your thread you can just PM me. The collector in me is just nosy.

dbwest
Victor Jr

Post by dbwest »

So the Vic landed on my desk a couple of days ago. I haven't touched a thing yet, but my thoughts were to use a feather duster and perhaps a can of compressed air to dislodge the surface dust.

I noticed what may be a very old repair to the bottom edge. Or, perhaps where the machine had been rubbing against something?

Any suggestions on how to address this area?
Attachments
victor-9.jpg
victor-9a.jpg

radman
Victor Jr

Post by radman »

Jerry B. wrote:Is there another Forum member who's first machine was a Victor VI?

Jerry
Jerry, in 2013 I acquired my first 2 machines from Raphael Cole of Musical Treasures of Miami. One of the machines was a Victor VI which came with a 11- petal wood horn made by the Eureka Manufacturing Company. The cabinet which it sits on is a serpentine mahogany finish made by the Herzog Art Furniture Company. The other machine was a Victrola VTLA finished in Russian, Circassian walnut. The beautiful machines nicely compliment my other collecting passions.

Dave
Attachments
0[1].jpg
0[1].jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 1050 times