Need Advice/Opinions on a Potenial Purchase

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Need Advice/Opinions on a Potenial Purchase

Post by PeterF »

Buy it, patch the cone, and enjoy it. They sound great and are fun and unusual. You can deal with the cosmetics as your time interest and budget allow.

It has good bones and at that price it’s smart to grab it.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Well, I went and bought it and picked it up today.

I ended up paying $50.00 for it.

Now, I can't wait to get into it and learn more about it.

Anybody know how to get ahold of Buford Chidester???

And thanks for all the opinions/advice.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Need Advice/Opinions on a Potential Purchase

Post by PeterF »

Congratulations! Wise choice.

The cone doesn't look that bad in the pictures. if you are careful, you can use thin cloth and some flexible thin glue like rubber cement to repair it well enough til you replace it...and you may find you do not need to replace it.

The cone is actuated by a long thin rod, extending from the center of the cone down the center of the tonearm tube to the pivoted stylus holder. It's probably fine so don't mess with it.

Test the thing, as-is, with a lateral record and a new needle on a record in decent shape. Be sure you have it set to the lateral position when you do that. You just hold the stylus holder still with your right hand while rotating the big wheel of the cone frame (with your left hand) until the "Lateral" marking on it is upmost.

If it buzzes it needs attention, starting with repairing any tears or holes. There aren't any gaskets to dry out nor bearings to be lubricated. All that can go wrong is the cone's integrity and perhaps that long rod getting bent.

Be super cautious with the center connection on the cone if you decide to disassemble it for any reason - lots of tiny bits to get lost or broken, and be careful to note how it goes together before disassembling.

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Marty, I'm glad you rescued this machine! You'll love it once you get it going nicely. This is the contact information for Mr. Chidester I used in 2014; I don't know if it has changed, but if it has, you may be able to locate him via any of the antique radio forums: E-mail: speakerpeople@comcast.net Phone: 717-266-4450
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

I put a new needle in it and played a decent record (the cone was already on "lateral"). It sounded surprisingly good and loud!!!

I'm a little apprehensive about turning the cone yet.

The motor is easy to crank and just about silent.

I'll also need to figure out the automatic stop.

PeterF: Any suggestions on a "thin cloth"?

CodyK: I'll try that contact info you gave me.

Now, I gotta figure out about the cabinet. There are two hairline cracks in the top of the lid. The machine has obviously been in a very damp environment and will need re-gluing in some areas and the one side will need to be re-veneered.

I am open to all and any suggestions and, thanks again and in advance.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I think I read somewhere that one can use japanning paper to try and mend tears in such cones. No personal experience though.

Congratulations, I love these Pathé Actuelle machines with the sound cone. One day I'll find space for one....

Andreas

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Any thin flexible cloth would work. Maybe go to a fabric store and see what scraps you can get that are close in color.

All you’re doing is stabilizing the cone and restoring its continuity, and mitigating rattles and buzzes by eliminating torn edges.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Great buy, Marty. Glad to hear that you got it.

Jim

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Thanks, you guys. I knew I could count on forum members.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Hey - I stumbled across this and you might find it informative to your cone restoration:

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 0&t=343931

I like the idea of minimal-overlap coffee filter material and rubber cement best. Keep in mind that the Pathé cone is probably far less sensitive to the added mass and other factors they are talking about in that discussion, but it is probably a best practice to keep any changes/additions you make as minimal as possible.