Expert Junior for auction, Bedford UK.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Expert Junior for auction, Bedford UK.

Post by epigramophone »

The horn is a little droopy, but the machine has what appears to be it's original matching table.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 5701173207
Attachments
Junior.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Expert Junior for auction, Bedford UK.

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:The horn is a little droopy, but the machine has what appears to be it's original matching table.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 5701173207

Interesting.

I notice that this item (and the 'other recent one') are both electric.

Were there far more electric emg gramophones made as opposed to spring motors I wonder ?

Are Spring one's more or less valuable ?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The majority of EMG and expert acoustic gramophones were made before the National Grid became fully operational in 1938, and many rural areas did not go "on the mains" until well after WW2, hence the continuing demand for spring powered versions.

Many machines were converted from spring to electric power, and vice versa, when their owners moved to or from areas served by mains electricity.

Some purists prefer spring power, but I like my electric Expert. There are more repairers able to deal with electric motors than spring ones, should the need arise.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:The majority of EMG and expert acoustic gramophones were made before the National Grid became fully operational in 1938, and many rural areas did not go "on the mains" until well after WW2, hence the continuing demand for spring powered versions.

Many machines were converted from spring to electric power, and vice versa, when their owners moved to or from areas served by mains electricity.

Some purists prefer spring power, but I like my electric Expert. There are more repairers able to deal with electric motors than spring ones, should the need arise.
Thank you very much for the interesting information epigramophone.

Calle
Victor O

Post by Calle »

Thanks for this information !
My EMG (indeed) was sold with spring motor and was later converted to electric motor and later back to spring (Garrard super motor, which is probably the original one)...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I checked both "The Saleroom" and the auctioneer's own websites to discover what the machine sold for, and this message appeared on "The Saleroom" website :

"Auctioneer has chosen not to publish the sale price of this lot."

I wonder why not. The sale catalogue was viewable on the auctioneer's website, but did not show any results.