HMV 102 Portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ImperialGuardsman
Victor II
Personal Text: Nothing like blaring Caruso out of your college dorm window...

HMV 102 Portable

Post by ImperialGuardsman »

My barber had a client who was getting rid of a machine and he told the guy that I collect them. So, it's mine now with an assortment of records (many far to late to be played on this machine...but clearly were...

Cosmetically beat up, mechanically seems quite solid! It has a replacement reproducer which is missing the bayonet lug. what reproducer would have shipped with this machine? I have an HMV #4, but I used a US flange when rebuilding it so it doesn't fit. The included reproducer does seem like it was damaged and repaired with JB weld. Do you think it's worth having someone fully rebuild it?

Anyhoo, take a look at the photos! The man said his aunt lived in Hawaii for many years and she's the one who owned it. Must have made it's way there.
Attachments
DSC_5824.JPG
DSC_5823.JPG
DSC_5822.JPG
DSC_5821.JPG
DSC_5820.JPG
DSC_5819.JPG
DSC_5818.JPG
DSC_5817.JPG
DSC_5815.JPG
DSC_5814.JPG
DSC_5813.JPG
DSC_5812.JPG
ImperialGuardsman

OTAPS (Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society) Member

~Also a member of Suscipe Domine and The High Road forums~

ImperialGuardsman
Victor II
Personal Text: Nothing like blaring Caruso out of your college dorm window...

Re: HMV 102 Portable

Post by ImperialGuardsman »

Oops! Feel free to move this to the British section if you wish!
ImperialGuardsman

OTAPS (Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society) Member

~Also a member of Suscipe Domine and The High Road forums~

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Interesting!

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

IIRC, It would have had a HMV 5a or 5b,most likely a 5b (now that I looked at the Cooper book)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The metal instruction plate beneath the lid transfer identifies this 102D as one of a batch of 20,000 made for the Ministry of Supply (now part of the Ministry of Defence) in 1945.
In the 1960's unused examples were being sold off in Army Surplus shops, and I bought one for £5. With the knowledge I have now I should have cleared the shop, but £5 was half a week's salary for a trainee bank clerk in 1965.

The correct soundbox is the No.5B, easily found on UK eBay, but a good one with no pot metal issues may not be cheap.
Attachments
102D.jpg

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

As others have said, this is a Ministry of Supply 102-D, which puts production at 1945, which means the original soundbox would have been a 5b, which had been introduced around 1939. The 5b soundbox continued in production for another 20 years or so, but finding one in decent shape may prove challenging. The backs are pot metal, the fronts are not. Happily, the diaphragm gaskets are made of felt that apparently lasts forever without needing to be replaced, so chances are you'd never need to open the front of one.

HMV portables are really good, and sound very comparable to at least the table cabinet models. And I can say that now, with two 109s in my front room.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

shoshani wrote: Happily, the diaphragm gaskets are made of felt that apparently lasts forever without needing to be replaced, .
Not if the moths get at it :lol:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Just how do you get at the back without separating the front where the felt is anyway?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Steve, do you mean in the 5A/B soundbox? There are felt gaskets at sides of the diaphragm. And the back is the first part you dismantle... I don't understand well your question...
Imperial, the substitute soundbox looks pretty interesting... I wouldn't throw it away... Has it a good sound?
The Spanish independent Columbia brand made portables very similar to the 102, actually an hybrid between the big heavy Columbia 113 with Garrard motor and the hmv102, similar tonearm, brake and soundbox. And that soundbox was very similar at the front grille cover to your Roller soundbox. Very interesting...
Those of Spanish Columbia portables sounded damn well, with strong volume and a deep bass. I owned one in a very nice green rexine material. It neither had its original soundbox, but a Paiilard Maestrophonic no17 instead, with aterrible good sound. Years ago I traded it for a Columbia 113, which I liked much more for is aspect and enormous size. Later I lamented that deal, for the sound of the 113 is not as good. That pain was later cured, though, by acquiring a102 like yours (black ministry of defence model, B/9 coded, 1945) whose magnificent sound is as good as that Spanish Columbia model.
Inigo

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

soundgen wrote:
shoshani wrote: Happily, the diaphragm gaskets are made of felt that apparently lasts forever without needing to be replaced, .
Not if the moths get at it :lol:
TINY moths, no? :lol: