Best route to Union from Michigan

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Best route to Union from Michigan

Post by Dave D »

I hate Chicago traffic!!! Is there a route I can take driving from Michigan that will help me avoid the worst part of it? Even if I is a bit out of the way, less hassle and stress is worth it to me. What route do some of you others from east of Chicago take?
Thanks!
Dave D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Best route to Union from Michigan

Post by phonogfp »

For many years, we've exited I-90 West onto I-80/94, then exited onto I-294 up to the I-90. Back in the 80s and 90s, this could still be a slow route because of the toll booths and tossing quarters into baskets. But since the adoption of I-Pass, you can just roll through at 65 mph and avoid the booths. I notice that since the adoption of the new system, the lines at the toll booths are not so long either.

We tried taking I-80/94 to Route 45 North, and even further west to Route 59 North, but both those routes are pretty slow, with traffic lights. I'd recommend the I-90 to 80/94 to 294 to 90 route - - even if you don't have I-Pass.

Good luck, Dave!

George P.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks, George!
Dave

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Having grown up in the Chicago suburbs the best advice I can give is pay attention to the time of day and the construction zones. Check out the map here. http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-inf ... ones/index
Try to avoid rush hour traffic at all cost. Here is an analysis of rush hour times to avoid. https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-city ... 220de78ad3
With all that, it's impossible to avoid random events like build up from an accident or a Police incident. The safest bet is drive in the overnight hours, but who wants to do that? Union is such a great event that it is well worth all the trouble. There simply is no better Phonograph show so plan ahead and go.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Use your iPhone to navigate, and you will get the fastest current route, because it gets real-time traffic updates - and provides reroute suggestions when things change (including routing you onto surface streets to get around accidents).

You can specify freeway only, no tolls, most scenic, etc etc.

The Waze app works the same.

Pretty sure that android phones have similar capabilities.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Dave stay south and west of Chicago. The new route I've taken for the last several years (Thanks to Tim Fizer) is as follows.
69 to 94
94 to 80
80 to 355
355 to 290
290 to 90
Its a few miles farther but traveling north on 355 is a stress free pleasure compared to 294. and you bypass most of 290 also.
The toll booths are farther apart so they are fewer, but cost more so it's about the same cost.
355 is a 4 or 6 lane road that's a good road to travel.

See you at Union

Larry Crandell

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks, Larry! I took Tim's advice before but lost the route.
Dave

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

audiophile102 wrote:Having grown up in the Chicago suburbs the best advice I can give is pay attention to the time of day and the construction zones. Check out the map here. http://www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-inf ... ones/index
Try to avoid rush hour traffic at all cost. Here is an analysis of rush hour times to avoid. https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-city ... 220de78ad3
With all that, it's impossible to avoid random events like build up from an accident or a Police incident. The safest bet is drive in the overnight hours, but who wants to do that? Union is such a great event that it is well worth all the trouble. There simply is no better Phonograph show so plan ahead and go.

Good information! I hate the trip, but love the show.
Dave

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

This photo shows not the best route to take to Union. Got a mile from home on my way this early morning and the engine blew out all it’s oil (13 quarts). Bought new Sprinter today and after transferring all the machines over to the new van tomorrow, I hope to get their by Saturday morning.
Attachments
C769B5A3-082C-4603-8A22-19451CFD123B.jpeg

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:This photo shows not the best route to take to Union. Got a mile from home on my way this early morning and the engine blew out all it’s oil (13 quarts). Bought new Sprinter today and after transferring all the machines over to the new van tomorrow, I hope to get their by Saturday morning.
That's the pits. Last year, on the way home, we blew the lower end on our hybrid engine and had to be towed in, trailer and all.