Original paper sleeves more valuable than the records?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Original paper sleeves more valuable than the records?

Post by russmovaz »

I assume that some of the common late 1940s or early 1950s 78's with boring music are worth nothing.

But are the original disc sleeves of value, say even $0.10 each?

I like these original sleeves with nice printing, and I assume I should buy the discs for $0.10 each if the sleeves are good.

Agree?
Russell DeAnna

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Original paper sleeves more valuable than the records?

Post by Wolfe »

I can't think of any late period 78 sleeves that are unique enough to buy just for themselves. They pretty much always seem to be generic record company adverts.

Earlier ones, yes. Like the sleeves Columbia made for Paul Whiteman in the 1920's. Those by themeselves are probably worth more than most Paul Whiteman records alone, aside from ones like the ones he made with Bix.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The only 50's sleeves that come to my mind as being valuable are Sun records, it was a small label that did not sell much but launched people like Elvis, Cash and Carl Perkins.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Most of the "common" sleeves are not worth much, but there are some that will bring more than a few bucks. Off the top of my head: Edison needle cut, Edison long play, special sleeve for Let Us Not Forget, any early "race label" sleeves, but of course none of these are 40s or 50s.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

I've often been inclined to purchase a record simply because of a really interesting sleeve. I've also had a mini quest to find some really early record sleeves. I predominantly collect pre-ww1 records and, understandably, the original sleeves almost never survive. The only pre-ww1 record I have with the original sleeve is a French Aerophone record from late 1911. Would love to find some other early sleeves.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I write a regular series of articles on interesting record covers for the CLPGS magazine "For the Record" and am always on the lookout for new material to use. The next issue of the magazine (Autumn 2019) will feature a couple of real rarities.

Incidentally, in the UK the term "sleeve" is usually applied to vinyl LP's, not 78's.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

epigramophone wrote: Incidentally, in the UK the term "sleeve" is usually applied to vinyl LP's, not 78's.
Out of my own curiosity, what would be the more appropriate word/term?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Interesting. I'm from the UK and have only ever used ''sleeves''. I second Fran's question as to what other words apply.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Case, Container, Cover, Envelope, Holder and Protector are some of the terms which are printed on 78rpm covers in my collection.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recorded use of the term "Sleeve" appeared in an American advertisement in 1951, i.e. around the time that vinyl LP's were introduced. The OED quotes an early reference in the UK as a 1954 edition of "Melody Maker" magazine. I rest my case.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

epigramophone wrote:Case, Container, Cover, Envelope, Holder and Protector are some of the terms which are printed on 78rpm covers in my collection.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recorded use of the term "Sleeve" appeared in an American advertisement in 1951, i.e. around the time that vinyl LP's were introduced. The OED quotes an early reference in the UK as a 1954 edition of "Melody Maker" magazine. I rest my case.
Very good, thank you.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.