Where's Jerry, Stan, and Dan?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Where's Jerry, Stan, and Dan?

Post by melvind »

We antiqued across Montana for a couple of days (it seems as though the state gets longer as you drive through it). We also had dinner with a friend in Butte, Montana which was a very nice start to our day.

From Montana we ended up in North Dakota. I only took one picture, but it is all that is necessary. It could be anywhere in the state.
20190602_154336.jpg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

My Dad used to say that there are parts of North & South Dakota where you can see the back of your head from a six foot stepladder!

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

The next morning we entered Minnesota we were invited by Bruce Johnson to visit him and his parents and his very nice collection on machines. What a treat. Bruce's parents are gems and fixed us breakfast. Then we went to the basement where he stores his machines. Something else as you will see in the pictures.
20190603_103209.jpg
20190603_100131.jpg
20190603_100142.jpg
20190603_100310.jpg
20190603_100426.jpg
Last edited by melvind on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

We visited another collector in the St. Cloud area and stayed over there. We ate dinner in a fun Diner that took us back to the 1950s for a time.
20190603_180412.jpg
20190603_183821.jpg
The next morning we were at a hotel with an actual restaurant instead of the usual continental breakfast room. I finally got a real breakfast and decent coffee!
20190604_070234.jpg
We spent the day antiquing first in Stillwater, Minnesota and ending in Madison, Wisconsin. No more pictures until we get to Union!!!

Whew, the whirlwind catch up of our trip... :lol: :roll: :shock:

clarphon
Victor I

Post by clarphon »

Clarinet revenge........
I also bought a tonette on the trip. This is an instrument (only some might call it that) which was my first instrument when I was about 9. If the abuse gets too bad, I plan using in the back seat to my personal advantage. So beware fellow traveling companions!!
Don't abuse the Old Clarinet Man......

Stan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

You guys know we are all waiting for some return trip pictures and stories.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Bruce is my kind of guy!

Love his collection of Edison machines!!!

:o)

Tony K.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Today we stopped in North Platte, Nebraska and visited the Golden Spike Tower. We climbed to the viewing floor to view the world's largest rail yard. The photos show a panoramic view of Union Pacific's Bailey Yard. We enjoyed it but it didn't quite measure up to last years stop to see the world's biggest ball of twine in Kansas. The last photos show Stan as he boarded the train for Portland. He looks a bit sad. :cry: We promised him a veggie delight pizza and he changed his mind at the last moment. It also helped when they wouldn't allow him to board with his clarinet.

Jerry
Attachments
IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG
IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's been several Union trips since I found something really nice in an antique shop. Today my luck changed. I bought this Salter cabinet that was made for Columbia. I'm delighted with it.

Does anyone have an idea what machine should go on the square top? The largest oak Columbia that I have seen is a model BII. But I have seen matching cabinets for the BI and BII. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:Today we stopped in North Platte, Nebraska and visited the Golden Spike Tower. We climbed to the viewing floor to view the world's largest rail yard. The photos show a panoramic view of Union Pacific's Bailey Yard. We enjoyed it but it didn't quite measure up to last years stop to see the world's biggest ball of twine in Kansas. The last photos show Stan as he boarded the train for Portland. He looks a bit sad. :cry: We promised him a veggie delight pizza and he changed his mind at the last moment. It also helped when they wouldn't allow him to board with his clarinet.

Jerry
Guess they didn't want any competition for the whistle.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek