Edison "S" crank comparison and question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Edison "S" crank comparison and question

Post by outune »

I am constantly finding things that I simply have failed to pay attention to over the years. Today I was preparing a couple of machines for sale and pulled out some of my Edison "S" cranks. These are all slotted Edison cranks for the same diameter winding shaft.

First I noticed that one of the seven has a hole in the back of the "S" in line with the shaft, the same as on my model A Triumph, except the Triumph has the square winding shaft and square hole.

Next, I noticed that the three on the left (and the one with the hole) are an ⅛" "slimmer" at the shaft end of the curve than the others.

There is no significant difference in the shaft lengths or the shape of the handle.

Someone please educate me--- Are the narrower cranks for the Standard and the wider ones for Homes? Is crank with the hole for an earlier suitcase model? If so, wouldn't the wooden handle be a little different shape?

I like that there is still more to learn in this hobby. I'd appreciate any help given.

Thanks-
Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN3161.JPG
DSCN3161.JPG (135.77 KiB) Viewed 902 times
DSCN3162.JPG
DSCN3162.JPG (135.88 KiB) Viewed 902 times
DSCN3165.JPG
DSCN3165.JPG (137.62 KiB) Viewed 902 times
DSCN3166.JPG
DSCN3166.JPG (137.21 KiB) Viewed 902 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison "S" crank comparison and question

Post by phonogfp »

Martin can probably verify or correct this, but as I recall, the earliest Standards used a winding shaft slightly smaller than those that came later (shortly after the introduction of the "New Style" cabinets of May 1901).

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Huh! That's a whole lotta S-curve cranks in one place! Most of my research has been from looking at stuff on ebay, so usually the crank is either missing and/or not well photographed. So I ask your pardon for my lack of any real knowledge here.

Some collectors along the way alerted me to the fact that not all early straight type standard cranks will fit all 4 clip (square top) Standards as the winding shafts were enlarged at one point. Without looking at my notes, I'd guess it was around the late 1900 to early 1901 Standards.

Let me offer this hypothesis:

While selling well, the early Standards had a fair amount of justifiable complaints. The motors were fairly under-powered and fragile. Also, the cranks were small and fragile as well. It would be an obvious choice to migrate to the Home style crank that offered a beefier design and better leverage due to the S-curve.

With the 1901 re-design, the Standard got a bigger motor and perhaps cost savings drove the idea of having a single production line of cranks cover the two different models. Without any real study of the subject, I'd guess that the smaller cranks were for the late 4 clip/early New style Standards and the Larger ones were for the Home and later New style Standards.

I have seen the cranks with the hole on the shoulder before and somehow associate them with the Home. I've never had one, so I'd be hard pressed to make a guess as to why they were made that way.

I'd certainly love to hear from anybody who has a clearer vision of this aspect of production.

Best regards,
Martin

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I know that the earliest Standards did not use an S crank. They used a flat crank. My early 2 clip Standard S/N 33XX has such a crank. I have a 4 clip Standard 22XXX that uses an S crank. The flat crank does not fit on this, but an S crank does. I don't know if this was a change in the motor or not. Also, don't forget the different lengths of the cranks. The Suitcase Homes used a short S crank. The earliest ones had a badge or a medallion on it.
Harvey Kravitz
phonogfp wrote:Martin can probably verify or correct this, but as I recall, the earliest Standards used a winding shaft slightly smaller than those that came later (shortly after the introduction of the "New Style" cabinets of May 1901).

George P.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Harvey, Martin and George-- (Sounds like a singing group!) As Harvey mentioned, I know the earliest 2 clip Standards used a flat crank- I think the supposition that the narrower cranks were for the later 4-clip Standard and early model A's makes sense-- I just compared my Suitcase home, Edison badge "S" crank-- Of course the shaft is shorter, but the width is the same as the wider cranks I have--

Hey George- Sounds like another research topic! :) I'm sort of glad there wasn't a definitive answer that everyone else in the universe knew to be true-- I had never really looked that closely at the "S" cranks to see that there are differences--

Thanks for the input and help-

Brad Abell