Columbia BI Motors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SydneyAde
Victor I

Columbia BI Motors

Post by SydneyAde »

Hi folks

I have a question regarding Columbia BI Motors that I've been meaning to ask for a while.

Why is it that many of the BI Motors have "AH" stamped on the bedplate along with a serial number?

I have attached a pic to explain what I mean, although you'll have to look carefully to make out the "AH".

Regards
Ade :)
Attachments
BI Sterling Motor
BI Sterling Motor
Columbia BI Motor.png (246.81 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Columbia BI Motors

Post by Phonofreak »

The BI motor is the exact same one as the AH. So, there is no difference. This motor was also used on the more deluxe client machines.
Harvey Kravitz

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Phonofreak wrote:The BI motor is the exact same one as the AH. So, there is no difference. This motor was also used on the more deluxe client machines.
Harvey Kravitz
Thanks for your speedy reply Harvey :)

Would this machine (with square cut outs in bed plate) have been used
on both the "fancy case" and later version case AH machines?

Regards
Ade

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

No it won't. The one with the square holes is the earlier one with the off center crank. These early motors and parts are hard to find. The one you need(shown in the photos) is the later, more common one. These turn up. If you can find a junk AH, BI, or Client machine, you'll be in business. Unfortunately, the early and late motors and parts are not interchangeable.
Harvey Kravitz

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Phonofreak wrote:No it won't. The one with the square holes is the earlier one with the off center crank. These early motors and parts are hard to find. The one you need(shown in the photos) is the later, more common one. These turn up. If you can find a junk AH, BI, or Client machine, you'll be in business. Unfortunately, the early and late motors and parts are not interchangeable.
Harvey Kravitz
Thank you yet again Harvey, I rely heavily on your information and it is very much appreciated.

Forgive me, I am slightly confused, because there may be an additional motor with the square holes.

The photos below are top side and underside of a Columbia motor with holes, but it has the crank
in the centre, not off centre as you mention above. It too has AH stamped into the bedplate.

This is the motor I have seen on BI and not so fancy AH case with crank in the centre.

Would this motor have also been fitted to the fancy case with the crank in the centre?

You kindly mentioned on a previous occasion that Columbia probably used up the excess fancy cases with
the third version of the machine, so I am wondering if it too used the motor with square cut outs and
centred crank?

Regards
Attachments
Columbia Motor Topside
Columbia Motor Topside
Columbia Motor Topside.jpeg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Columbia Motor Underside
Columbia Motor Underside
Columbia Motor Underside.jpeg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If the screw hole on the motor plate are square, then that is for the earlier AH. The motor shown in the pictures have round screw holes. For the square holes, are you referring to the spring barrels, and governors? The picture shown is what you need for your BI.
Harvey Kravitz

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Phonofreak wrote:If the screw hole on the motor plate are square, then that is for the earlier AH. The motor shown in the pictures have round screw holes. For the square holes, are you referring to the spring barrels, and governors? The picture shown is what you need for your BI.
Harvey Kravitz
Thanks Harvey

Yes I was referring to the pictures with square holes at the spring and governor.

If I understand correctly, the motor pictured above is meant for the BI, but not
the AH?

I thought I had seen it in a later version 3 AH, but that could have been added later.
The motor above (topside and underside) does fit into a fancy case (Version 3) though
the motor is primarily meant for for a BI?

I think another confusing factor for me is that the motor above has "AH" stamped
into the bedplate, obviously meant to confuse novices such as myself :roll: .

Please let me know if I'm on the right track, and thanks again for your patience with me.

Regards

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sorry for the delay. I was gone for a couple of days. As I said before, the motors stamped with AH, was also used on the BI. These motors are identical. The BI is essentially a late AH with a back bracket and tonearm.
Harvey Kravitz

SydneyAde
Victor I

Post by SydneyAde »

Phonofreak wrote:Sorry for the delay. I was gone for a couple of days. As I said before, the motors stamped with AH, was also used on the BI. These motors are identical. The BI is essentially a late AH with a back bracket and tonearm.
Harvey Kravitz
Ok, got it, thanks Harvey :D

I purchased the motor pictured above from a UK collector, the number stamped into the rim
of the bedplate is 531490. I will be using it for a 'fancy case' AH centred crank restoration.

I'm sure I have also seen a similar version of an AH motor without the two squarish cutouts in the bedplate
at the spring and the governor and that is why I was wanting to confirm I had the correct motor.

I very much appreciate your ongoing advice and information.

Regards

Ade