FOR SALE: Grundig Majestic 7080 WF- $550

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
torrance1252
Victor Jr

FOR SALE: Grundig Majestic 7080 WF- $550

Post by torrance1252 »

Grundig Majestic Phonograph and Radio Console.Turn table revolves. Sound comes through weakly. Lighted cabinet. Appears to be light maple or beech wood . Selling as is : where is. Assessories are pictured. Piece in good stable condition. Located in Milledgeville, GA. Approximately 48”W x 14”D x 30” H
Attachments
47E0F8FC-E8A7-47E4-AE9C-0042206B122C.jpeg
Back view
Back view
B868D85E-3032-4CC1-90E9-7ADB1C937904.jpeg
AACED26D-F238-40CB-B39B-83E826629625.jpeg
3F360D57-2476-445D-95DD-6E411AE24003.jpeg
Tube
Tube
Spindle
Spindle
New Needle
New Needle
Original Owner’s Manual
Original Owner’s Manual
7B546406-421F-48F9-B89F-5E5AD4EAD7B6.jpeg
AM.  FM. SWl. SWll.
AM. FM. SWl. SWll.
Turn table . Lighted.
Turn table . Lighted.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: FOR SALE: Grundig Majestic 7080 WF- $550

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Cool phonograph! 8-)

Unfortunately, though, the forum here tends to concentrate on antique phonographs and gramophones. Most of our "stuff" dates from the 1930s on back. Yours classifies as "vintage" to most collectors--but man, nobody said "antique" or "vintage" is better. Those old German-built machines are extremely cool.

But basically, most of our stuff still has a crank on the side to start it with. Our records are usually old 78rpm heavy shellac discs, or wax or celluloid cylinders by people who have been dead for decades. Our idea of "hi-fi loudspeakers" is a nice cygnet (swan's neck) horn to attach to an old Edison machine!

You'll probably have better luck moving it on the Antique Radio Forum. The people over there are fairly chilled-out so that might work for you.

torrance1252
Victor Jr

Post by torrance1252 »

Thank you for you kind response and suggestion.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You might try these too:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php -- similar to but broader than TMF. Includes a phono section that is likely date appropriate.

http://antiqueradios.com/clubs.shtml -- you may want to contact the group closest to you.

Good luck,
George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I find it kind of ironic that we balk at the idea of electronic sets of the late 1950s when one considers that the orthophonic machines were a good deal younger (less than 50 years) when I became interested in collecting phonographs in the early 1970s.

While I don't quite know where the cut-off should be, I do have an appreciation for these machines on some level. My folks had a 1959 Perpetuum-Ebner Rex turntable that fascinated me to the point of wanting to know more about the history of recording. Almost 60 years later, our old P-E is becoming a piece of history itself.

If I had the room, this would be an awesome machine for a 1960 retro-party. I wish the seller good luck and hope that (he/she?) won't be a stranger here.

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

martinola wrote:I find it kind of ironic that we balk at the idea of electronic sets of the late 1950s when one considers that the orthophonic machines were a good deal younger (less than 50 years) when I became interested in collecting phonographs in the early 1970s.

While I don't quite know where the cut-off should be, I do have an appreciation for these machines on some level. My folks had a 1959 Perpetuum-Ebner Rex turntable that fascinated me to the point of wanting to know more about the history of recording. Almost 60 years later, our old P-E is becoming a piece of history itself.

If I had the room, this would be an awesome machine for a 1960 retro-party. I wish the seller good luck and hope that (he/she?) won't be a stranger here.

Martin
I agree. When I bought my first Victrola XVI in 1967, it was 53 years old and seemed ancient. But today a conventional 1966 stereo (also 53 years old) just seems "old." How is that? Would it seem "ancient" to most 13 year-olds? Probably... I guess it's I who is ancient! :lol:

George P.

torrance1252
Victor Jr

Post by torrance1252 »

Actually, I was surprised by these responses. I tried to delete my post this morning after reading the advise above of other sites. I found the edit button, but never saw the delete posting one. if the webmaster reads this, please delete my listing. I pressed the "x" and thought it was gone. Apparently, not.Thanks again.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogfp wrote:
martinola wrote:I find it kind of ironic that we balk at the idea of electronic sets of the late 1950s when one considers that the orthophonic machines were a good deal younger (less than 50 years) when I became interested in collecting phonographs in the early 1970s.

Martin
I agree. When I bought my first Victrola XVI in 1967, it was 53 years old and seemed ancient. But today a conventional 1966 stereo (also 53 years old) just seems "old." How is that? Would it seem "ancient" to most 13 year-olds? Probably... I guess it's I who is ancient! :lol:

George P.
A few years ago a friend's 18 year old niece came to my mother's house, saw my mom's 1970's 8-track stereo phonograph, and had absolutely no idea what it was. Then I took her to the Diamond Disc machine I had in the house, cranked it up and played it for her and she was practically speechless. Of course she took out her smartphone, made a video, and posted it to the internet immediately!

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

torrance1252,

I'd just leave it up on this board. Sure, it may be a bit off-topic, but not so far off the path that it need go away. I was serious about being interested if I had the room. I wouldn't be surprised if another board member may have a "mid-century" hideaway where this could live. In any case, good luck with the sale.

Martin

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

martinola wrote:torrance1252,

I'd just leave it up on this board. Sure, it may be a bit off-topic, but not so far off the path that it need go away. I was serious about being interested if I had the room. I wouldn't be surprised if another board member may have a "mid-century" hideaway where this could live. In any case, good luck with the sale.

Martin
these West German postwar tube type stereos are great. We have a 1958 Telefunken behemoth in the living room and it's all original and never had an issue. They were using printed circuit technology with tubes way back then. At half volume, the bass shakes the house.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek