If you could keep only one record label of your collection?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: If you could keep only one record label of your collecti

Post by gramophone-georg »

russmovaz wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Are you kidding? I would go rogue and tell whoever invented this game to fork off. I'd rather give up air! :)
I am guilty. Just wondering what other members consider their most treasured label.

I read so much about the early jazz and race labels Vocallion, Gennett, Black Swan, and OKay, that I wondered if those records are around in this group or not.

I am a beginner in collecting 78 RPM records, I was a big eBay seller of classical and jazz vinyl, but 78 RPM is new to me as of this year.
Well... I have somewhat extensive collections of Gennett, mottled Pathé, late QRS, and things like that, LOL. Hence my combativeness.
I am also a closet classical audiophile collector- lots of Shaded Dog among some early digital discs and Euro labels.

I also collect early LPs- as in the Victor "Program transcriptions" of the early Thirties, so that's a nice merging of the two formats- LP and 78.

I have been feeling the urge lately of going down the rabbit hole and buying albums I had when I was younger and full of dreams... from the Beatles to CSN and sometimes Y, to Al Stewart, to Chicago when they were "Chicago Transit Authority"... Forget MP3s and CDs- I want the original pressings, LOL.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Post by russmovaz »

gramophone-georg wrote: I have been feeling the urge lately of going down the rabbit hole and buying albums I had when I was younger and full of dreams... from the Beatles to CSN and sometimes Y, to Al Stewart, to Chicago when they were "Chicago Transit Authority"... Forget MP3s and CDs- I want the original pressings, LOL.
I have gone cold on vinyl since my days selling vinyl on eBay. As I mentioned here, once I started selling vinyl I lost the love of music on vinyl as a hobby. I plan on buying and holding my nascent collection of 78s, knowing that once I start selling, the hobby fun is over.

I do like Chicago as a band - a band from my youth which I think still sounds like adult music. Most of the rock-n-roll I listened to growing up now sounds like music made for teenagers.
Russell DeAnna

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'm still trying to decide what "fork off" means? I think he's trying to invite all of us to dinner.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:I'm still trying to decide what "fork off" means? I think he's trying to invite all of us to dinner.
Next you get to figure out what "forking icehole" means! :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I think it would have to be Victor. While, 50% of my collection is Victor, they made some of the most notable songs by some of the greatest artists in the world. I have about 4 Victor machines and they are my go-to for playing lateral disc records, so when it comes to discs, I’m becoming more of a Victor fan.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

George definitely doesn't give a shirt what the fork we think! But I'm reminded of a recent favorite teevee show that explores the concept in some depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3KwwVCb4Y

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Ditto Brandon's response.
Best regards ... AZ*

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I'd keep my Columbias. I'm not giving up my Ettings or Ride of the Valkyries.