Forum Problems

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Forum Problems

Post by HisMastersVoice »

gramophone78 wrote:Just curious...would a person need to be a paid subscriber to APS in order to use the forum if taken over by APS. Or would (as now) anyone be able to use as it exists now without paying for a membership..??.
It would be open to all, as it is now.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I said this in the other thread, but I’ll repeat it here as well:

I have over 15 years of experience with configuring and managing phpBB (and Simple Machines, Invision, etc.) and I’m also a network engineer. While I appreciate the kind offers to help, we (the APS board members and I) do not require any assistance with setting anything up at this time. I’ve also owned talkingmachineforum.com for years in preparation for this. It will be transferred to APS when that time comes.
Thank you, Brandon, this puts much of my concern to rest. I'm sure I didn't realize the "back story", and apologize if I've caused any premature public notification to you and the APS.
Bleachbit wrote:Fran604g

My apologies. No intent on my part to highlight what someone might not know, rather to inform.
No apology is necessary, I was being honest; I really am ignorant of how all this seemingly magical webmaster stuff functions. :)
HisMastersVoice wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Just curious...would a person need to be a paid subscriber to APS in order to use the forum if taken over by APS. Or would (as now) anyone be able to use as it exists now without paying for a membership..??.
It would be open to all, as it is now.
That's reassuring to know. Thanks again, Brandon.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

As Brandon says, this forum (or its successor) would be open to all. No changes to this forum from a user perspective are anticipated. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

George P.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

And the problems continue. At least a few times every week I get the 500 error, 503 error or 505 error. Doesn't look like this will be coming to an end anytime soon.

Mike

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

PHONOMIKE wrote:And the problems continue. At least a few times every week I get the 500 error, 503 error or 505 error. Doesn't look like this will be coming to an end anytime soon.

Mike
Just remember that if this forum should permanently crash, go to the Antique Phonograph Society's web site and look for an APS forum.

https://www.antiquephono.org/

George P.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

phonogfp wrote:
PHONOMIKE wrote:And the problems continue. At least a few times every week I get the 500 error, 503 error or 505 error. Doesn't look like this will be coming to an end anytime soon.

Mike
Just remember that if this forum should permanently crash, go to the Antique Phonograph Society's web site and look for an APS forum.

George P.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to have that up and running BEFORE this site permanently crashes? Just reiterating my comment earlier that it might be high time to be proactive instead of reactive. The bugs on this site regularly show up and will eventually over run it.

Mike

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

PHONOMIKE wrote:
phonogfp wrote:

Mike

George P.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to have that up and running BEFORE this site permanently crashes? Just reiterating my comment earlier that it might be high time to be proactive instead of reactive. The bugs on this site regularly show up and will eventually over run it.

Mike
The software/computer gurus at the APS have a platform ready that closely mirrors this one. In addition, steps are being taken to preserve the information on this forum so it won't be lost. Nobody in their right mind wants the TMF to go down, but unfortunately (and needlessly) it seems inevitable. When that happens, the new forum will very quickly be up and running. Believe me, proactive action is being taken.

The APS has not launched the new forum yet because the TMF is still up, and the organization does not want the appearance of competition, nor of a "takeover." This forum has served the hobby well for over a decade, and people are accustomed to coming here. The APS respects that, and will continue to do the same as long as possible.

George P.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

[/quote]The software/computer gurus at the APS have a platform ready that closely mirrors this one. In addition, steps are being taken to preserve the information on this forum so it won't be lost. Nobody in their right mind wants the TMF to go down, but unfortunately (and needlessly) it seems inevitable. When that happens, the new forum will very quickly be up and running. Believe me, proactive action is being taken.

The APS has not launched the new forum yet because the TMF is still up, and the organization does not want the appearance of competition, nor of a "takeover." This forum has served the hobby well for over a decade, and people are accustomed to coming here. The APS respects that, and will continue to do the same as long as possible.

George P.[/quote]

Thank you George for the update. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure many other members here are also happy to read this. It's great to hear there is something ready and waiting when the inevitable happens. Thanks again.

Mike

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome, Mike.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I'm really starting to hope for the ultimate crash that brings this site down and commences the migration. I fiddled around trying to get it to load for about half an hour today. Then went off and did other things. Now it seems fine but especially frustrating is when I see a post such as, "FOR SALE - SOMETHING I REALLY WANT", click on it and can't get it to load.

I have nothing but good things to say about the current administration of this page but hands are tied. Is it time to end life support?