Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Post by gramophone-georg »

ericreiss wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome :)

And I did find the photos of the motor. It looks like a variant of the 1904 motor with the first worm-gear governor. And two springs - this was popular in Germany even though the English machines often had three springs according to Oakley and Proudfoot (and my own observations).

Anyway, congratulations. You have a really fine machine!
Wow... when the author of the Bible shows up in person, it's either going to be a really good or bad day depending on one's perspective. This is a good day, though. :) When I first discovered your book in about 1989 you showed me everything I had been doing wrong in the previous 20 years! :lol:

Good to see you here
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Strangely enough, it was a machine just like this one or a variant of it that was my very first encounter with a gramophone- it was upstairs in the attic of my German (dad's) grandparents three story c. 1803 house in Canton. Ohio. I was allowed to play with it when we visited on vacation from Brooklyn and I was hooked at the tender age of 5 or 6. They were also the ones who sparked my classic German car passion. My other grandparents in NJ (mother's side)had the old Duo record changer full off Jazz Age/ Swing Era records in their basement in Clifton. He was from Canton, Ohio and she was a Brooklyn girl by way of Goteborg. Somehow, my grandfather knew Bernie Cummins who was from Akron originally and legend has it that he and my grandmother skipped out of their own wedding reception in April 1930 in Manhattan to go dance to Cummins at the New Yorker.

My grandparents were horrible influences. Just horrible. I miss them. :lol:

One of these days I'd love to find a DGG machine. I have no idea what eventually happened to the one in the attic. Slim pickings on those over here in Trumpistan.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Welcome, Eric. Your gramophone repairing Bible has also this fan in Spain. I acquired the Compleat back in 1998 or so... I believe it is the second edition.
An honour to have your company here!
Inigo

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

First, Eric, welcome to the Forum. I have just about all your editions starting from 1986 to the present. I have learned so much from you. When ever I meet a new collector, I highly recommend your book. Even on this Forum, I recommend your book when someone asks a question about Phonograph repair/restoration. Back in 2004, I bought this same Gramophone at the CAPS show. I was wondering about the motor also. It is that 2 spring variant like yours. Also, my turntable is threaded and has to be unscrewed from the turntable spindle. Mine does not have the record hold down. The turntable has the thread inside. This is a very nice machine. It's about as close I can get to a Victor Monarch Special.
Harvey Kravitz

ericreiss
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Collector, author

Post by ericreiss »

Friends,

I don't want to hijack this incredibly interesting thread, but I did want to let you folks know how grateful I am for your kind comments regarding my book. When I first got the idea back in 1984, the collectors I knew were very dismissive: "Who would ever want a book about how to repair this stuff?" Moreover, many collectors were very cagey about sharing their "secrets" - some were actually angry when I later described techniques that I had discovered on my own through trial and error that they felt represented their own proprietary ideas. But now, 70K copies later, I like to think that the book has helped save some machines and inspire younger collectors.

I've been fairly active on the Facebook forums, which really has made me feel connected to the community; living in Copenhagen, Denmark, I know of no local collectors. This thread caught my attention because I see a growing interest in (and appreciation for) European machines. In fact, just the other day, I started a new FB group for European gramophone and phonograph enthusiasts. I'm amazed at how much great information has been posted within the first 48 hours. This is, of course, no replacement for this great forum - and I am so happy to make whatever modest contributions I can.

Cheers,
Eric

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Ericreiss: Sometimes, at important stages in life, jigsaw puzzles seem to fall well into place. I am about to start my first restoration project on a 15 euro gramophone (another thread), and is there asking questions, and receiving good guidance on where and how to start, and then you appear here in this thread, where I am happily sharing info on my newly acquired Deutsche Grammophon Monarch. I do not yet have your book, but during the last weeks I have looked at it online frequently, and now...as the "His Masters Gramophone" book is tracked down, purchased and received in post, your boook comes next, meaning..it will be ordered today. A book on restoration and repair of gramophones/phonographs is exactly what I need at this stage, both to give me confidence to even touch my old gramophones, but also to give me some guidance and even, in the future, some skills to repair and conserve my goodies.
Welcome to "my" thread, and welcome to the "show", I am very happy you are here, and see it as an honour that you have showed up in "my" thread:)
I am not on FB, since I don't really feel comfortable with the FB ads, frequent scammers showing up, virus alerts etc, so I am happy you also have time to be in here sometimes:)
Thank you also to gramophone-georg for sharing your story, I love such stories:)
Thank you also for everyone parttaking or even reading this thread, it makes me happy that I somehow have been able to humbly contribute to the forum.
-Nostalgia-