Somebody knowing this gramophone logo?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Somebody knowing this gramophone logo?

Post by nostalgia »

Doe someone recognize this logo?
I need some identification help concerning a horn model with this logo...
Attachments
motor.png
gramo.jpg
logo.png
logo.png (95.39 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Last edited by nostalgia on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Somebody knowing this gramophone logo?

Post by estott »

It isn't a logo, those faux transfers were used on makes like Beka, Palliard & Thorens. A look at the motor could help.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks, I still misinterprete these decals as logos. I have only one picture of the motor, I uploaded it now.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It is a very interesting motor... Kind of robust but economic framing.
Where do you find those interesting machines?
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Hahaha...Inigo, I know you are curious where I find my gramophones:;)
For now..it needs to be a "trade secret" though;)
I am happy though that my photos of my HMV model 3 will be of help for you when
renovating your own HMV. I will keep posting photos of my findings if you gays/gals (where are the gals by the way?) want to see, and everyone here ask for more photos when needed or wanted. I am still not of much help giving any advice, but maybe...maybe over time. I love to help, when I can be of any help....
-Nostalgia- "living anywhere the wind blows"...

Update: Starting the car for a long drive...again. Hope it is worth it. Back online tomorrow.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

That is a Union motor- so this machine was made by BEKA.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Estott: Thanks a lot for providing info and thread link, I will read that closely. The info was much aprpeciated.
I purchased the horn gramophone, despite it having some problems. I drove in total 800 km yesterday evening/night, on not exactly motorways or autobahns, and it was on impulse really, since I intuitively felt I wanted this gramophone, and acted immediately not to lose it to someone else.
The bottom wooden board is missing, someone has put two small screws on the upper main board to secure the wooden frame, and in addition the automatic break function is not working, meaning when I wind up the gramophone, the crank need to be held or somehow fastened, or it spins back. I doubt I will be able to correct this myself. I know an older man who worked 35 years repairing gramophones and gramophone motors, so I hope he can help me out, if this is at all possible to amend without hard to find extra parts. If someone may know the root of this problem, please also enlighten me...
From the last posts I understand this may also be a rare and hard to find motor? If so, it need be handled carefully and with caution.
The good news is that the horn is beautiful, and also the gramophone plays well, I was able to test it before purchasing and it plays loud and clear, at a regular speed. I will take some photos of the soundbox in a few moments, and upload too, and if anyone wants to see more detaailed photos, please feel free to ask. I always wanted a horn gramophone with a colored horn, and this is my first one, so it will get an extra good spot in my (now rather gramophone overcrowded) small sitting room.
Attachments
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

All motors incorporate a non return mechanism to prevent the winding handle flying backwards as you describe.
These mechanisms vary. They can be a ratchet and pawl, a coil spring or a non reversible gear. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote:All motors incorporate a non return mechanism to prevent the winding handle flying backwards as you describe.
These mechanisms vary. They can be a ratchet and pawl, a coil spring or a non reversible gear. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix.
This motor uses a coil spring griping the winding shaft. A new one must be would from piano wire, doing this is tricky, but the Eric Reiss book "The Compleat Talking Machine" does show how. Check the spring first- if someone has oiled it then it will slip without gripping, in which case cleaning could fix it.