Talking books for the blind

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Talking books for the blind

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Just picked up a bunch of these with a victrola xvi. Anyone know anything about them? Any value?
All from the early 50's
Attachments
IMG_5487.JPG
IMG_5487.JPG (114.87 KiB) Viewed 826 times
IMG_5486.JPG
IMG_5486.JPG (94.59 KiB) Viewed 826 times

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Talking books for the blind

Post by estott »

Long play vinyl records- originally recorded 1950 - 1953. You can still buy versions of this reading in various formats.

"Scourby was the first person to record the King James Bible issued on long-play records in the 1950s. He originally narrated the Old and New Testament for the American Foundation for the Blind. The project required more than four years before it was completed in 1953. The original goal was to produce a clean, clear recording for visually impaired listeners. The American Bible Society distributed the recordings as The Talking Bible, a set of 169 LP records with a running time of 84.5 hours." (Wikipedia)

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Anyone have any instrest in these records? I have a few of them. Let me know thanks

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I don't know about these particular records, but many talking books were issued at 16 RPM. If you ever wondered why some older turntables have 4 speeds, including 16, there's the reason.