Thomas Edison's Factory Time Cards

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Thomas Edison's Factory Time Cards

Post by JerryVan »

A rather odd eBay seller has an old machinist's tool chest for sale. Inside it, were a few of Thomas Edison's time cards from 1912, which he displays in the auction, but ARE NOT FOR SALE. Still, I thought you all would like to see them. (By the way, he says they're from Thomas Albert Edison!) Even the big boss punched in and out!

Here's the link in case maybe you want to burn a few brain cells by communicating with him: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Eight- ... Swz4ZdJ7O7
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: Thomas Edison's Factory Time Cards

Post by Raphael »

Mr. Coyle’s time card indicates a Social Security #, which dates to post-1935.

Raphael

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Looking at the time cards,,, it appears the average work week back in 1912 was in the area of 100 hours per week... wonder if they got time & half over 40 hrs... :lol: :lol:

blizz

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

The box without the provenance is just a box.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

fonograph wrote:The box without the provenance is just a box.
I agree. There is nothing that ties the box to the cards or even the person the that owned the box to the time cards. There doesn't seem to be anything that even ties the identification card to the box. There doesn't seem to be any provenance other than a story. I don't think that an unsubstantiated story adds any value.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It is a nice tool box - and I like the owner reinforcements - but Ebay has some just as good for less that &100

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Django wrote:
fonograph wrote:The box without the provenance is just a box.
I agree. There is nothing that ties the box to the cards or even the person the that owned the box to the time cards. There doesn't seem to be anything that even ties the identification card to the box. There doesn't seem to be any provenance other than a story. I don't think that an unsubstantiated story adds any value.

Oh my gosh folks, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BOX. Yes, correct, the story, the box, the employee I.D. is all a crock of total, overpriced B.S.
My point of mentioning and posting really has nothing to do with anything other than what is apparently Edison's employee time cards, which are an interesting item all by themselves.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Agreed. The cards are pretty cool and I am glad that you shared them. The side story and the question of provenance is probably secondary, but still interesting to collectors.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Django wrote:Agreed. The cards are pretty cool and I am glad that you shared them. The side story and the question of provenance is probably secondary, but still interesting to collectors.
Agreed as well :)

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I guess my point was, he's asking $1000 for a box WITHOUT the provenance. The time cards alone might fetch $1000 on their own to the right seller, but why would he not include that?

Stories are interesting, I have a lot of items in my collection the were supposedly owned by XXX but I can't substantiate.