Newly acquired edison home. Need info

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gwcoty
Victor Jr

Newly acquired edison home. Need info

Post by gwcoty »

Hello, entirely new to cylinders players, i picked this up a few day ago and id like to know more about it. I know its an edison home but what model? It is mostly complete, and the spring or any other critical parts are in good shape, so I am attempting to restore it. I am curious what the decals on the box wouldve been. The edison script logo, or the fancy banner logo. I have already ordered a missing gear from ron sitko. From what research ive done, that seems to be a troublesome gear, in fact its probably why this machine was retired and stored in the barn for over 50 years. Anyhow, whatever you want to tell me about this machine, im all ears! :D
Attachments
20190801_163230.jpg
20190802_085239.jpg
20190801_152919.jpg
20190801_144417.jpg
20190801_144352.jpg
20190801_144342.jpg

MikeB
Victor II

Re: Newly acquired edison home. Need info

Post by MikeB »

Hi -

It's an Edison Home Model B. It would have had an Edison script logo on the lower part of the cabinet. Good luck with your restoration. I would be concerned about rust on critical parts like the feed screw, half nut and governor, and it looks like the bed plate is rusty and peeling.
On the other hand, the cobwebs are a plus and give it character.

Have fun!
Mike
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

And it's set up to play two minute cylinders. Jerry B.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Yeah, She's a Well used Edison Home Model "B"...Rather a late model "B" too...

You can restore these machines until the cows come home....

Hard to tell what direction to take with this machine.... I'd probably restore it. I think that its a little too warn for my tastes...

Remove the Dataplate and pins...then strip the bedplate, and re-paint it and blow apart the whole machine.. soak all the parts and rebuild the motor. While the parts are soaking, You can work on stripping the finish on the wood, doing any repairs to the wood, then re-stain and re-shellac, the polish...then put all the decals back on and re-shellac the bedplate...Put all back together, adjust, new belt, then done! It looks like there is a faded Blue/Green 2-Minute Albany, NY "Indestructible" cylinder already on the Mandrel already. It IS not a wax cylinder, but It is a Celloid (Type of early Plastic) made cylinder made from 1907 to 1922. Try to remove it carefully if you can and hope that it is not rusted to the Mandrel. Also, Please post the Song title on the side and its cylinder Stock number so we can look up the cylinder for you so you can hear it without having to actually play it yet.

As Jerry said, Your machine was built after 1906, so it had the "Edison" script Decal on the Front.

When restored, Your Phonograph should correctly look just like the one below....

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Attachments
home_B.jpg
home_B.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Welcome to the forum As you can see if you run into problems just ask.... You will get good advice on your project from the forum members here. That Home is a work horse and will be very reliable when you get it running. NEFaurora gave you good advice except he left out as you are restoring this home you will need to look for a Edison standard. The home just can not be left alone with out a standard close by. They are all fun to work on . Good luck Tom

gwcoty
Victor Jr

Post by gwcoty »

The cylinder that is on it is liberty bell march number 1231. The cabinet has been fixed and refinished, looks beautiful. The gear I ordered has arrived, so I disassembled and cleaned/polished the gears, reassembled it and it runs wonderfully. I also took the time the paint the two plates the gears slide into and the main frame, used a hammered black and I'm very happy with it. I primered and painted the bedplate, endgate, and carriage gloss black and I am waiting for the paint to cure. I purchased a reproduction classic brass/black witch hat horn, and a gasket kit for the model C reproducer. The sooner the paint dries, the sooner I can reassemble it and see if it works, as you can tell, I can't wait! The only thing I am concerned with is the feed screw, the threads are very worn not only from rust, but from use. I could not find a replacement online when I looked and that might be the show stopper... :roll:
Would it be possible to tell from the serial number, what the exact age of the machine is?

Thank you for your input so far!

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

The home B feed screws are on eBay a lot but it is attached to the mandrel unless it has had the 2/4 minute attachment. Yours being the two minute style will have the mandrel and feed screw together. They can be separated but being new, you may not want to add to your troubles if something goes wrong. In a pinch I have used a brass brush to clean up the feed screw. Also in a pinch I have cleaned the ½ nut that sits on the feed screw and put a slight pressure on it and used it to clean up the feed screw by running it to regroove it. It has a lot of groves in it to cover errors of a damaged grove or two. That may get you by till you can get a new one. Use some penetrating oil on it . I use a brand called Kroil that works well. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I forgot to tell you post the serial number of your phonograph and someone can possible give you a date it left the factory. Seems like you are making a lot of progress decal kits are available to restripe your Edison. Tom

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

Hi. A forum member told me to soak the thread in Evapo-rust. This will lift the rust off and you can then inspect the thread and carefully clean with a fine brass wire brush. Worked a treat on my BO Graphophone thread.
Zapper

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

gwcoty wrote: Would it be possible to tell from the serial number, what the exact age of the machine is?
Your Home (No.336551) was built after the known Edison sales data ends (May 1908). Extrapolating from the known data, yours should date from early 1909.

George P.