Reproducer/Sound-Box: NO. 2
Motor: 4 SPRING
Reproduction Parts: NEW FELT
Current Value: $400 ON WEST COAST
Interesting Facts: I bought this cabinet with only the tone arm, reproducer,
and cabinet hardware present. The lid had large splotches of paint and the
cabinet was in bad shape in general. It was my first real restoration project
and I learned a lot and had fun seeing the transformation. One of these days
I will work some more on the cabinet and see if I can brighten it up a bit more.
Special thanks to William Dickens and Jerry Blais for helping to bring this project
to completion.

Favorite Characteristics: The cabinet on this model is a work of art and I really
love the carvings and the color of the red mahogany.
Attachments
P8240035.JPG
P8240044.JPG
P4280001.JPG
P4280014.JPG
P4280015.JPG
P8240041.JPG
P8260002.JPG
P8260003.JPG
Last edited by antique1973 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boyle6
Victor O
Personal Text: VV-XIV (2), VE-111, VV-IX, Columbia 50, VV-IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 63

Post by Boyle6 »

What a beautiful machine, it is wonderful that you were able to bring it back to life!!!! I agree with you about the case being a work of art. It always amazes me how really exquisite the woodwork is done on these old machines. There is nothing that is made today that really matches it unless you are willing to pay for something custom. Thank you for supplying such great pictures, they really show off your Victrola and the great way it now looks.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Boyle6 wrote:What a beautiful machine, it is wonderful that you were able to bring it back to life!!!! I agree with you about the case being a work of art. It always amazes me how really exquisite the woodwork is done on these old machines. There is nothing that is made today that really matches it unless you are willing to pay for something custom. Thank you for supplying such great pictures, they really show off your Victrola and the great way it now looks.

Thanks Boyle6! I agree, any furniture made like this nowadays would
be big $$$. When I first got it, it looked so bad I considered just
parting it out. I am glad I did not make that mistake! :)

Talkophone
Victor II

Post by Talkophone »

You have a very nice Machine!! Here are some pics of mine. Someone before me refinished as you can see by the pictures. Looked like it might have been a fumed Oak.
My Victrola  XVI.jpg
My Victrola XVI a.jpg
My Victrola XVI b.jpg

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Thanks Talkophone, you have a nice machine too. Thanks for posting the pics! The inside of
your lid would indicate the original color which appears to be fumed oak. I always love the
grain on those, it looks nice! :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's a Golden Oak XVI where the grain is so wild, the decal is almost indecipherable. The digital photo actually cleans it up a bit - - in real life the decal is harder to discern.

George P.
Attachments
oakvictrola.jpg

antique1973
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 64

Post by antique1973 »

phonogfp wrote:Here's a Golden Oak XVI where the grain is so wild, the decal is almost indecipherable. The digital photo actually cleans it up a bit - - in real life the decal is harder to discern.

George P.

Wow, now that is some serious grain! Gorgeous machine George, thanks for the pic. :)

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Nice job bringing it back to life!

I had an earlier model XVI (the first version following the L-door machines from around 1912) with the triple-spring motor and Exhibition soundbox. It was a nice machine and still had the original record albums and records (mostly Victor Red Seals with the "patents" label).

Sadly, it was destroyed in a house fire, although some of the records, the soundbox, tonearm and the motor survived. I sold the motor and tonearm to another collector so he could restore a machine that had been cannibalized.
Best regards ... AZ*

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

AZ* wrote:Nice job bringing it back to life!

I had an earlier model XVI (the first version following the L-door machines from around 1912) with the triple-spring motor and Exhibition soundbox. It was a nice machine and still had the original record albums and records (mostly Victor Red Seals with the "patents" label).

Sadly, it was destroyed in a house fire, although some of the records, the soundbox, tonearm and the motor survived. I sold the motor and tonearm to another collector so he could restore a machine that had been cannibalized.
Thanks! I still need to work on some of the stubborn "alligatoring" but I am happy to see how far it has come. Very sorry to hear about your loss in the fire. Sounds like it was a special machine indeed.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I've always liked the XVI, in all of it's various cabinet styles. I have the same one Antique1973 has with an electric motor and it's another of my "I'll never part with it" machines. I bought mine when I was 15 from a brownstone in downtown Albany, right out of the original owner's living room. It's got all the albums and a universal electric motor. It's in gorgeous condition. They're nice machines. A few years later I found the same machine in fumed oak in a windup version, still have that one too. I've had a couple of L-Doors over the years, but the later XVIs are sentimental to me. Nice machines, guys!

Sean