Fern O Grand baby Grand

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Fern O Grand baby Grand

Post by travisgreyfox »

Hey everyone. I ran into one of these today that looked in disrepair. The owner would take no less than $200 for it. I was wondering how hard it would be to find parts to get her up and running again. I didn't get to see the motor but I know it was not functioning. I do not have alot of disposable income. Do you think I should buy it? Side not: it's in Louisiana and i would have to get my dad to hold it until i could find a way to get it home to Pennsylvania
Attachments
Screenshot_20190809-162328_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-162319_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-162301_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-162253_Messages.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Fern O Grand baby Grand

Post by estott »

The arm is a Heineman and appears to be intact, but the base is damaged- there should be a pivot pin in the middle: good news, parts are not hard to find.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I don't know how hard the parts will be to find but the motor in these are not like any I've come across before. It is enclosed in a metal cylinder. I don't know what the actual motor looks like as mine was in working condition when I got it.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

It's a matter of personal preference, but if it were me, I'd pass at $200, especially if that would be a big investment to you. First, these cabinets are usually either loved or hated with no in between and it seems more people are in the second camp than the first. Also, I'd be nervous committing to it without seeing the motor and examining it in person. The good news is, the tone arm is a common Heineman that was used on hundreds of phonos in the late '10s and early '20s. I could be wrong, but I believe the tone arm will be the least of your worries.

It's a pig in a poke. There are much nicer machines out there that can be had for the same amount. But, if you really like it, they don't turn up all that often.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for the advice. I will pass on it, but when I come back to this state next year I will throw them an offer lower than the asking price if it is still in the store

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will pass on it, but when I come back to this state next year I will throw them an offer lower than the asking price if it is still in the store
Sounds like a good plan. After it sits for a few months, they will probably be open to offers. It will also let you examine it in person.