Sleeping too late, ..losing a Pathéphone !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Sleeping too late, ..losing a Pathéphone !

Post by nostalgia »

As we all know, sleeping too late has never been any good. And today it, again proved to be
detrimental. I lost this Pathéphone, a buyer had messaged the seller 15 minutes before me.
Is this finally a real Pathéphone? I have started new threads before believing I had a Pathéphone,
but this time it maybe is the real deal? I post the pics so you can see, since it really is a stunning machine.
The price? Well...what would you consider a fair price for such a gramophone, or what would you pay yourself?
I will list the price here soon too.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Sleeping too late, ..losing a Pathéphone !

Post by kirtley2012 »

I really hope they haven't been playing that Pathé record with that soundbox!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

No, that's not a Pathéphone. Closer to a Frankenphone if anything.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Vow, I would never have guessed this to be a frankenphone, please enlighten me why...
This was sold today for 120 Euro...frankenphone or not.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

This is not a Pathéphone. It looks german to me. Maybe a Parlophone? I own a Pathéphone No.12 and none of the details of this machine are similar to the Pathéphone.
Roy

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote:Vow, I would never have guessed this to be a frankenphone, please enlighten me why...
This was sold today for 120 Euro...frankenphone or not.
Exactly. That price should tell you all you need to know. You wouldn't get a genuine machine for that price anywhere unless you are pretty darn lucky.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I don't get the comment about Pathéphone No. 12. As I said before this has nothing to do with Pathé.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Then we know, it is not a Pathéphone, but I also understand there is a slight disagreement if it is a frankenphone or not, or maybe a Parlophone. Since I was too late up, I anyway could not buy it, but wanted to show the photos, and yes..this time I thought it was a Pathéphone, so I am grateful for correcting this.
And Steve, in my area prices do not necessarily reflect quality or scarcity. I have come to understand very few people here collect gramophones or know much about old gramophones, and because of it gems can show up often, at extremely good prices. The last week has been crazy that way, and to prove my point I will now upload some more photos of findings from the last week, in addition to the "Is it a BUY Now" gramophone with Pathéphone soundbox in another thread, where I also will soon upload new photos. The Pathéphone/EWC ended by the way on 260 euro, including 110 euro in postage. It became more "expensive" than I wanted because of the high postage costs, but I anyway don't regret it, even if I not yet know what I will get in the post tomorrow, since I have only seen the photos already put up in that link.
But back to showing the price levels from last week findings, I will upload 5 photos of 2 different gramophones.
The wooden horn gramophone, that will probably now show up to be a Pathéphone !!, was sold for 250 euro today. I was bidding on it for a while, since the asking price was 100 euro!, but another potential buyer last evening put some bids on it, and the price increased to 250 euro. I quit the bidding at that point, both because one can see some cracks in the wood base and corner of the upper lid. This made me hesitant, but also because I now have killed my budget the last few weeks.
The last 3 photo of the gramophone with the red horn was sold 3 days ago, I bought it for 150 euro, and will collect it later this week. Despite not knowing what model this is, I was not hesitant to buying it.
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Just because it has a Pathé record on it, does not mean its a Pathé.

HOWEVER at 120 euro it was very cheap, and its probably a very good machine.

Last 2 pics above is also a very good machine

Congratulations - god buy at 150.