Re: Featured Phonograph № 63

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

All right, I waited a bit before posting this one. I know it's a later phono and has a radio- but I don't participate in the radio forums so thought I'd post it here. After all, it's from 1929 or 30, not that late, it is a Victor product, and it has the trademark all over it.. so here it is:

Make: Victor Electrola
Model: RE-45
Serial # 25407
Year(s) Made: '29-'30
Original Cost: $275 for a "normal" RE-45
Case/Cabinet Size: mahog.
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: electric pick-up w/ permanent horseshoe magnet
Motor: induction motor
Horn Dimensions: 9" electrodynamic speaker
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: dunno
Interesting Facts: obviously not a "normal" RE-45. Still needs restoration but the radio supposedly works. I worked on the cabinet some but have not messed with the electronics.

Favorite Characteristics: this showed up at an auction 5 hrs away. I decided to go and have a look. It is an unbelievably ornate cabinet although it has a normal RE-45 turntable, speaker and power unit. It also has an RE-45 tag and a stamped on patent number although it is hard to read. Anyway, if anyone knows something more- please feel free to comment.

This is what a regular RE-45 looks like:
Victor_RE45_(1929)_Park.jpg
and here's the one I bought at the auction:
re45 001.jpg
re45 002.jpg
re45 003.jpg
re45 006.jpg
re45 004.jpg
re45 005.jpg
re45 007.jpg
re45 008.jpg
re45 010.jpg

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

re45 011.jpg
P8270012.JPG
P8270011.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

WOW!!!!! Now that is a great "RADIO"..... :lol: Why would they even put some Phonograph into a piece of art like this!!!???? :o :lol: Steve, as always you show some outstanding things. I'm moving to Texas. So, I can hit them auctions :twisted:

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

That is quite a find. And what a variation on the stock cabinet! No front doors, and no storage to the right and left in the front or under the lid on either side of the turntable.
I wonder if there is more than one of these?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

wjw wrote:That is quite a find. And what a variation on the stock cabinet! No front doors, and no storage to the right and left in the front or under the lid on either side of the turntable.
I wonder if there is more than one of these?
WOW! No apologies necessary for posting something so late. I suppose the reason there's no record storage is that if you could afford this, you lived in a place big enough that you had many other storage options.

Any idea what this would have cost new compared to the stock model???

Thanks for posting!

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

These cabinets were offered in the late '20's by a couple of Chicago area cabinet firms, as semi-custom jobs to house one's own radio or phonograph. E. H. Scott used some of them as alternativescabinet choices for the All-Wave 12 and All_Wave 15 sets, and the units were being remaindered out in the Barawick catalogs of 1933 and 1934 at a price of $49.99.

Sparton issued a set in tis 1927 or 1928 product line in a cabinet quite similar to this, as did Federal. It is NOT a product of the Camden cabinet factory, but is a beautiful example of the woodworker's art, nonetheless.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Incredible carvings, very nice! I don't think my wife could complain if I
brought home one like that. :lol: I have the rather utilitarian version of a
Zenith myself. :)
Attachments
P6170007.JPG
P6170008.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's some cabinet!

Luckily, the U.S. Design Patent number is visible in one of the photos. This design for a "Radiocabinet" (all one word) was filed by Loreto P Alonzi on May 13, 1929, and granted as No. 79,219 on Aug. 20, 1929. The patent was assigned to the Alonzi Furniture Company, located in Chicago.

George P.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks for all the information on the cabinet. I knew you gents would come through with some great facts that I didn't know. Is there any way to get a copy of the patent application or information?

Steve

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Steve,

Sure - - Google "patents," then click on "Google Patents" on the list. A screen will come up with a "SEARCH" box near the top. Type in "Design 79219" and only two matches will come up. Click on the correct one and it will come up. Then download the file to print. It's easier than it sounds.

George P.