New York Music Lovers record label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

New York Music Lovers record label

Post by marcapra »

Does anyone know anything about the New York Music Lovers record label? I just bought another one of their records called Charleston Love and Broadway Charleston. Does anyone know when these records were made, and were they connected to the Columbia brand? They are superbly recorded and well made.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: New York Music Lovers record label

Post by estott »

I think you mean National Music Lovers of New York. It was a male orger business, eight discs for three dollars. The masters were pressed in Scranton PA. and came from several sources, primarily the REGAL and BANNER labels of the Plaza Music ompany - which was one of the better second tier labels. Most NML discs use pseudonyms.

https://www.discogs.com/label/161000-Na ... sic-Lovers

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

marcapra wrote:They are superbly recorded and well made.
Not some of their electricals.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

thank you, yes I got the name of the label wrong. At first I thought you said they were a "male orgy" business! I think you meant a "mail order" business. Thanks for the link to Discogs! It is the National Music Lovers of New York label. All of the records I have purchased on this label have sounded great. I guess all of them are acoustic that I own. I guess the electric ones would so state. The music on my records are not Charleston rhythms at all, but sound more like a blues fox-trot drag by someone like King Oliver. So I'm very happy with the record! They are called the Nat. Music Lovers Syncopators. I don't know who they are. But I just looked them up in my book Pseudonyms On American Records by Allan Sutton, which says they are the Bob Fuller Trio, but only on 1155 and 1156. My record is 1142 and sounds more like a jazz band.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:thank you, yes I got the name of the label wrong. At first I thought you said they were a "male orgy" business! I think you meant a "mail order" business. Thanks for the link to Discogs! It is the National Music Lovers of New York label. All of the records I have purchased on this label have sounded great. I guess all of them are acoustic that I own. I guess the electric ones would so state. The music on my records are not Charleston rhythms at all, but sound more like a blues fox-trot drag by someone like King Oliver. So I'm very happy with the record! They are called the Nat. Music Lovers Syncopators. I don't know who they are. But I just looked them up in my book Pseudonyms On American Records by Allan Sutton, which says they are the Bob Fuller Trio, but only on 1155 and 1156. My record is 1142 and sounds more like a jazz band.
Just a SWAG, but it might be Luis Russell.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I tried to Google SWAG and got a ton of possible meanings: a type of fold in a curtain; secretly we are gay; the new word for "cool"; etc. I know that SWAK is sealed with a kiss. I learned that from a 1952 Lewis and Martin movie. So maybe SWAG could be sealed with a guess?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I happened to have National Music Lovers # 1140 handy in a nearby little stack of dance band records that I am trying to organize. Definitely electrical this one - doesn't state anything about that on the label. I can't tell by the matrix # but it resembles in sound maybe something early electrical on Banner, or a Brunswick "Light Ray" though I'm sure it's not a Brunswick master. It's mildly distorted, but listenable. One side is by "Music Lovers Dance Orchestra" and the other is by "N.M.L. Dance Orchestra".

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I've got quite a few NML discs as well, at least four or five of which are electric. None of them say they're "electric" anywhere on the labels nor do I believe any of them ever indicated as such. One or more of mine have an acoustic recording on one side and electric on the other. Not surprising to me since they were cheap records to begin with. One of mine is Fletcher Henderson under a pseudonym I can't recall, an excellent version of "When The Red Red Robin...".

I believe at one point in one of the club rags, perhaps the New Amberola Graphic, someone had compiled a near complete list of all the discs issued / known.

Sean

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:I tried to Google SWAG and got a ton of possible meanings: a type of fold in a curtain; secretly we are gay; the new word for "cool"; etc. I know that SWAK is sealed with a kiss. I learned that from a 1952 Lewis and Martin movie. So maybe SWAG could be sealed with a guess?
"Scientific wild- ass guess" to be precise.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

NAG on the IA does have some detailed RD 4 the NML.

https://archive.org/details/NAG53/page/n5?q=subject%3A