Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine

Post by OrthoSean »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Speaking of the 8-12s, how do they compare to an 8-4? Maybe I should make a new thread about that one day.
The 8-4 and 8-12 are very similar sounding machines, the advantage of the 8-12 for me would be that it's just a little shallower than the 8-4. I can't say that there would be a very noticeable difference in sound. My 8-4 is my garage machine, I use it almost every day when I'm working out there, it fills the garage with sound and can be heard quite clearly 60 feet away at the end of my driveway! I'd love to have my 8-4 in my house at some point, it's a nice clean example that needed nothing but a good clean.

Sean

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Django wrote:I have been having better luck with the Facebook Marketplace than with Craigslist or Ebay. My VV-8-12 was found on Facebook. I came across the Credenza locally at an old Grange. I may be wrong, but I would expect to find a Credenza in an area with large, older homes and in an are that had good financial success during the mid 1920s. I know that some people have something against Facebook, but I find it to be a useful tool and unlike Craigslist, you can see things about the person that you are dealing with. Good luck.

Another option is to place a wanted ad in your local paper, on Craigslist or on Facebook Marketplace.
Speaking of the 8-12s, how do they compare to an 8-4? Maybe I should make a new thread about that one day.
I don’t have an 8-4 to compare it to, but I like it as well as my Credenza. Both machines have identical Brass reproducers. I believe that they have the same motor as well. The horn of the 8-12 is folded differently which makes it more compact than the Credenza. A Credenza makes quite a statement, but I think that the 8-12 has nicer lines and details. The Walnut on my 8-12 is nicely figured as well.

I don’t want to hijack this post any more than I have, but I would be happy to add to a post about the “other” Orthophonics.
Attachments
2647A44E-C631-4923-900B-AC409BEC0077.jpeg
FE192173-047D-4ED1-ADFD-4FB79E905481.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Speaking of the 8-12s, how do they compare to an 8-4? Maybe I should make a new thread about that one day.
The 8-4 and 8-12 are very similar sounding machines, the advantage of the 8-12 for me would be that it's just a little shallower than the 8-4. I can't say that there would be a very noticeable difference in sound. My 8-4 is my garage machine, I use it almost every day when I'm working out there, it fills the garage with sound and can be heard quite clearly 60 feet away at the end of my driveway! I'd love to have my 8-4 in my house at some point, it's a nice clean example that needed nothing but a good clean.

Sean
I’d say I’m 95% satisfied with my “restoration” with my 8-4. (I put restoration in quotes because most of the stuff I did was swap broken and incorrect parts with parts I sourced from eBay). I have a somewhat rebuilt soundbox on it but not fully rebuilt. I also don’t like the sloppy spray paint job I gave the tonearm. But I couldn’t find a tonearm in better condition for sale on eBay so I did what I had to do to get it to work and make it look somewhat cosmetically decent. :|

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:

Sean
I’d say I’m 95% satisfied with my “restoration” with my 8-4. (I put restoration in quotes because most of the stuff I did was swap broken and incorrect parts with parts I sourced from eBay). I have a somewhat rebuilt soundbox on it but not fully rebuilt. I also don’t like the sloppy spray paint job I gave the tonearm. But I couldn’t find a tonearm in better condition for sale on eBay so I did what I had to do to get it to work and make it look somewhat cosmetically decent. :|
I didn't know that you had an 8-4. I would think that having a nice Orthophonic machine takes some urgency out of the equation, but desire being a large part of the equation, I can relate to your situation. Unless I had lots of room, if I already had an 8-4, it would probably be a Credenza or bust situation. I don't know if my Credenza had been in that Grange Hall since new or not, but I couldn't pass it up, it being an early two door with a Brass reproducer, I figure taht I paid for the reproducer and the rest was free). I have only recently really appreciated the Orthophonic machines. My first machine was a Granada that I picked up for $20.00 in 1974. Until recently, that was the only Orthophonic machine that I had owned and it was re-homed in 1976. It is the enthusiasm on this forum that pushed me toward an Orthophonic machine again, and I am glad for that because they live up to their reputation. In my opinion, the 8-12 is the best looking of the Orthophonics, but if you have an 8-4, you probably want to hold out for the Credenza. To me anyway, the hunt is a big part of the fun.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi, The name of the town to turn west off of I-83 on the way to York, PA fro Timonium, MD is Shrewsbury, PA. if you continue on that road through Shrewsbury you will come to Rail Road, PA. I will add this to my first post as well as other information.
Allen

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Django wrote:In my opinion, the 8-12 is the best looking of the Orthophonics, but if you have an 8-4, you probably want to hold out for the Credenza. To me anyway, the hunt is a big part of the fun.
I'd agree the 8-12 is better looking than both the Credenza and 8-4. Part of the fun for me was always the opportunity to "upgrade" and that's basically now all I do if I'm to add anything in my own colection. The 8-4 is VERY comparable sounding to a Credenza, despite the slightly smaller horn, I own both and I really can't tell a difference. If I were Andy, I'd be making the best of the 8-4 I already have (find a nicer tone arm, for starters, they're out there...Geroge V for example). The right machine will eventually come along. I'm at the point now where they seem to find me, only I refused a super clean Granada and another 8-4 that was also very nice, I just don't have the room anymore and while I tried to convince a friend to grab the 8-4, he hesitated and it sold.

Incidentally, I didn't get my first Credenza until the late 1990s even though I'd looked for years before that. After I got my first one, I had a second just a month later followed by three more by 2002. That's just how it happened, I rehomed all of them except my nicest one which I got from the original owner who received it as a Christmas gift from her husband in 1925. I'll never part with it.

Sean

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:
Django wrote:In my opinion, the 8-12 is the best looking of the Orthophonics, but if you have an 8-4, you probably want to hold out for the Credenza. To me anyway, the hunt is a big part of the fun.
I'd agree the 8-12 is better looking than both the Credenza and 8-4. Part of the fun for me was always the opportunity to "upgrade" and that's basically now all I do if I'm to add anything in my own colection. The 8-4 is VERY comparable sounding to a Credenza, despite the slightly smaller horn, I own both and I really can't tell a difference. If I were Andy, I'd be making the best of the 8-4 I already have (find a nicer tone arm, for starters, they're out there...Geroge V for example). The right machine will eventually come along. I'm at the point now where they seem to find me, only I refused a super clean Granada and another 8-4 that was also very nice, I just don't have the room anymore and while I tried to convince a friend to grab the 8-4, he hesitated and it sold.

Incidentally, I didn't get my first Credenza until the late 1990s even though I'd looked for years before that. After I got my first one, I had a second just a month later followed by three more by 2002. That's just how it happened, I rehomed all of them except my nicest one which I got from the original owner who received it as a Christmas gift from her husband in 1925. I'll never part with it.

Sean
Don’ t get me wrong. I love my 8-4 and I’m very happy with the progress I made with it I practically rebuilt that machine with parts sourced from other machines. But I always wanted to know if the Credenza and what I read about it lives up to its hype. Since I’ve never had the opportunity to see one in person and pictures and videos don’t do it justice. BTW, How much taller is a Credenza compared to an 8-4?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

According to Baumbach, the Credenza is 1” taller, 1 ¾” wider and ¾” less deep than the 8-4. I can’t say that I can tell the difference between the 8-12 and my Credenza. My early Credenza is only 45” tall, (same as my 8- 12).

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well I finally saw a Credenza in person! :) Not as giant as pictures and YouTube videos make it out to be! Unfortunately the high price tag kept me from getting it, but at least I got an idea on how big it is. (Its really not much bigger than an 8-4.) And what to expect when one under $500 FINALLY shows up!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

That did it! I’m having a big sale this weekend to fund a Credenza! :twisted: I’m selling my two VV-XIs I Don’t really need them because I have a VV-111. And I’m selling my London Console diamond disc machine because I hardly ever use it since I bought my C-19. (Plus it’s a good way to get rid of DDs I don’t want lol.) plus other clutter I don’t need or want anymore. And If somebody gets that Credenza before me I’ll go on the Yankee Trader section for one! It’s time to sell lesser machines to afford one good one! (Like everyone else does here.) And I’m not going to charge $1000 each for em either!