H&S horn...to refinish or not

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cchaven
Victor Jr

H&S horn...to refinish or not

Post by cchaven »

Hello, a new member here but have browsed the forums for quite a while.

I've had what I think is a Hawthorne and Sheble horn for about a decade. It was originally the transparent/candy red with gold accents, with cream and yellow inside the lower to mid section of the horn. A previous owner started to sand and strip it on the outside while the inside of the horn is original...if a bit worn.

In this case do you all still think it'd be best to leave it even though someone already started to strip the original paint from the exterior? The horn is an 8 petal horn with the narrower connection for a cylinder machine. It's approximately 23" long.

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home.

Thanks

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: H&S horn...to refinish or not

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, photos would be nice. It is so hard for me to paint a metal horn and not have a finished result that does not scream "I've been painted!". I've seen some translucent paint jobs that looked fair to good but it is difficult. Jerry Blais

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

If you can save the inside at all do so, since the outside has been started this stuff finishes really close to original with a little practice. I'll be doing a complete Red sometime in the next couple of months and will put pics up of the before and after. Here's a Blue I'm working on currently.
MC200 Red.jpg
MC200 Red.jpg (12.77 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
striped on horn.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The horn below looks great? Where do you get this paint? For years, I use Testors translucent blue, green and red. The drawback is the cans are small and take about 5 cans for a horn like yours.
Harvey Kravitz

cchaven
Victor Jr

Post by cchaven »

Ok, here are some images of the horn. I originally got it as an alternative to my Edison 11 panel horn, as that is a huge horn. I have a Home Model B.
Attachments
A side by side size comparison with my 11 panel Edison Home horn.  It still has the rubber connector tube on the end
A side by side size comparison with my 11 panel Edison Home horn. It still has the rubber connector tube on the end
An interior view, showing the color and how scratched up it is
An interior view, showing the color and how scratched up it is
A pic of the hanger, which is one of the things that makes me think it's H&S.  Any decals that were on it are gone.
A pic of the hanger, which is one of the things that makes me think it's H&S. Any decals that were on it are gone.
A full length shot showing how much of the external finish has been sanded.
A full length shot showing how much of the external finish has been sanded.

cchaven
Victor Jr

Post by cchaven »

RSStone wrote:If you can save the inside at all do so, since the outside has been started this stuff finishes really close to original with a little practice. I'll be doing a complete Red sometime in the next couple of months and will put pics up of the before and after. Here's a Blue I'm working on currently.
That blue horn is absolutely beautiful! I love the color

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Phonofreak wrote:The horn below looks great? Where do you get this paint? For years, I use Testors translucent blue, green and red. The drawback is the cans are small and take about 5 cans for a horn like yours.
Harvey Kravitz
Is dupli color metalcast #MC201, I polished the metal and then used basecoat. Practiced on scrap sheet metal until I got the depth I liked.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

cchaven wrote:
RSStone wrote:If you can save the inside at all do so, since the outside has been started this stuff finishes really close to original with a little practice. I'll be doing a complete Red sometime in the next couple of months and will put pics up of the before and after. Here's a Blue I'm working on currently.
That blue horn is absolutely beautiful! I love the color
Thank you, is dupli color MC201 with polished horn and basecoat, doing a red soon.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

cchaven wrote:Ok, here are some images of the horn. I originally got it as an alternative to my Edison 11 panel horn, as that is a huge horn. I have a Home Model B.
Has definitely had better days, if you're set on keeping the coloring inside, a light cleaning with Dawn and warm water with a soft cloth, a gold pen will take care of the striping and outside rim and then clear coat after dry. The Red Metalcast would definitely do the job for the outside.

Here's the link to a post I made about the Blue one pictured above, with details on how I did it, http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=40093 . Have an artist coming in Monday or Tuesday to hand paint the flowers inside to match the original, will post pics of that when finished as well. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out for you :D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Where did you buy this at?
Harvey Kravitz
RSStone wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:The horn below looks great? Where do you get this paint? For years, I use Testors translucent blue, green and red. The drawback is the cans are small and take about 5 cans for a horn like yours.
Harvey Kravitz
Is dupli color metalcast #MC201, I polished the metal and then used basecoat. Practiced on scrap sheet metal until I got the depth I liked.