Victor V regulator

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Karrion
Victor Jr

Victor V regulator

Post by Karrion »

Hey guys, got a question. I'm restoring a Victor V and I've run into a problem. It appears there is something missing off the regulator control yoke. The 'U' shaped piece ends in two round lobes with small holes in then. I'm assuming there is some sort of bearing surface that belongs there between the yoke and the disc. I've searched all the parts breakdowns I could find with no luck. Thanks.

Karrion

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Victor V regulator

Post by Brad »

Karrion,

This sounds like the speed regulator arm that rubs up againsts the governor plate. Typically, there is a piece of leather in these holes/lobes. Depending on the diameter, you can use a leather shoelace, sewing machine belt, or a flat piece of leather rolled up.

Good luck.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

This is the little bugger I'm talking about.

Karrion
Attachments
P8280046.JPG

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

I am certainly no expert (not even close) in this area, but as Brad mentioned, you are likely missing the leather (or felt pads) which prevent the flange from sliding too far on the axle while the governor is spinning, (thus controlling the speed).

I don't know if you have a copy of The Compleat Talking Machine, but on page 25 the top right photo seems to be a similar governor/yoke configuration as yours. It shows another semi-circular attachment which hooks into the opposing holes in the horseshoe you mention, wrapping around the opposite side of the governor, with a opening which holds the leather (or felt) pad in place. However, as I am not familiar with your particular motor, I will defer to the experts in this area. :rose:

PS ~ If you do not have the book, perhaps I can scan the photo tomorrow and post it for you.

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

That'd be great. Thanks!
I have a copy of the book on order. not sure what the holdup is.

K

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

You appear to be missing the speed control swivel, part no. 2100A W.N. which has the pads part no. 985 P.F., as Tink suggests. Various parts dealers sell these. Wyatts catalogue lists these for $10 and 50 cents respectively. They may be cheaper or more expensive elsewhere. See photos below.
IMG_0911-1.JPG
IMG_0911-1.JPG (65.19 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Attachments
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG (57.49 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Best regards ... AZ*

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

Ah HA! O.K. I'll call Wyatts first thing Monday. Thanks for all the help guys.

K

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

AZ* wrote:You appear to be missing the speed control swivel, part no. 2100A W.N. which has the pads part no. 985 P.F., as Tink suggests. See photos below.
Thanks for posting the pic, AZ... you beat me to the punch. ;) Your photo turned out better than the scan of the book's photo, anyway. :rose:

Karrion
Victor Jr

Post by Karrion »

Well, Wyatt's was a bust. Not enough demand. I'll have to find another source or fabricate one.

K

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Don't give up yet! I understand George Vollema has quite the boneyard... try him out first. :rose:

http://www.victroladoctor.com/