Victor Type BM Motor Question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bob27556
Victor I

Victor Type BM Motor Question

Post by bob27556 »

I've got a Victor II Humpback with the single spring type BM motor and the spring needs to be cleaned and greased. The barrel has been removed from the frame and the cover plate removed. At this point I need to stop and ask questions. The winding gear, ratchet and shaft appear to be one piece with the spring attached to the shaft. I this actually a one piece assembly? I'm stuck at how to removed the spring from the barrel and don't want to cause any damage.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Victor Type BM Motor Question

Post by alang »

If I understand you correctly you have the spring barrel in your hand, open on one side, with the spring and shaft still in place. On the other side of the barrel you have the bull gear and the winding gear, which prevent you from pulling out the shaft and the spring. Am I correct? The winding gear is "pressed" onto the shaft and held by a pin that goes through the shaft. You need to carefully pull the winding gear off to be able to pull out the shaft and spring. Since I don't have any special tools for that I pretty much used a medium side screwdriver and slowly went around between the large gear and the winding gear and tried to loosen it and pry it off. Sounds scary at first, but wasn't really that difficult.

Good luck!
Andreas

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Thanks Andreas. Job done and machine running fine!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Awesome! Glad I was able to help.

Andreas