WANTED: Limit pin for Edison model C reproducer

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

WANTED: Limit pin for Edison model C reproducer

Post by pughphonos »

Hope someone has an Edison model C reproducer that is so far gone that it's not a candidate for restoration -- and that they'd be willing to send me the limit pin. Disassembled mine a few days ago and removed the limit pin in the process. It bounced out of my hand and no amount of looking or sweeping has turned it up. :oops:

Quote your price.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: WANTED: Limit pin for Edison model C reproducer

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Have you tried 'sweeping' the general area with a large magnet?

I confess that in my career as a watchmaker I found myself on my hands and knees, with a magnet, hunting for a tiny screw or pinion that sailed off from my tweezers. (Of course, it was only the scarce parts that went flying. I had hundreds of spares for a great many parts, but those were never the ones to go missing...)

I can't say that I was 100% successful with the magnet trick, but it was very effective most of the time.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Try Ron Sitko. He either makes them or knows who has them.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

You can simply make that part yourself by sacrificing a silver staple, I have been doing that successfully many times.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Ron Sitko is the goto person for all those little parts among many other things.

Jim

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Hi friends,

Am trying the magnet approach--no luck yet.

Thanks also for the recommendation of Ron Sitko; will act on that in time. In the meanwhile, I've discovered that an unwound, larger-sized paper clip is pretty ideal: insert and clip off excess.

The model C in question (the one I went crazy on this weekend--taking apart and re-assembling) is now working wonderfully and louder/clearer/fuller than my other model C. Quite remarkable, especially considering that at one point in the process I had the stylus bar on backwards.... :roll: :roll:
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Hi friends --

Thanks for the magnet recommendation! If no luck, will try Ron Sitko. In the meantime, I've found that a larger-sized (unwound) paper clip works near perfectly: insert and clip off excess.

The long and short of it is that the model C in question (which I disassembled and re-assembled, changing the stylus bar/diaphragm link) now sounds better than my other model C (louder, clearer, fuller). Remarkable, especially considering that at one point in the process I had the stylus bar on backwards (live and learn...) :shock: