Forum Problems

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Re: Forum Problems

Post by PHONOMIKE »

Valecnik wrote:I'm really starting to hope for the ultimate crash that brings this site down and commences the migration. I fiddled around trying to get it to load for about half an hour today. Then went off and did other things. Now it seems fine but especially frustrating is when I see a post such as, "FOR SALE - SOMETHING I REALLY WANT", click on it and can't get it to load.

I have nothing but good things to say about the current administration of this page but hands are tied. Is it time to end life support?
You're not the only one who wishes for that. It's so hit and miss again lately. I might sign in a few times a day then I might not sign in for a few days. This site crashing is as random as me. I was replying to an ad and when I hit post reply, the wheel spun for 5 minutes then I got the error message. Not typing that again. I agree that it's time to pull the plug imo

Mike

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

George,

Could I make a suggestion without sounding insulting? When I had my business and we changed our computer systems, we had a "soft opening" and didn't make it public. Once we knew the computers were good with just a handful of customers and didn't have any glitches, then we launched hard, were very busy and things went smooth.

Imagine if this site crashes and a thousand members all jump to the new site in a day. You might have members find "issues" you didn't know you had. If you let 20-50 members join per day, these people could get used to the new site and if there was a few things overlooked, would get taken care of before the site was rammed all at once possibly causing bigger problems. Hope I made sense of what I was trying to say.

It's just my suggestion and I hope you take it as that. Again, your site, your way. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mike

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Connections to the forum have been very hit or miss for me this week. One of these days the TMF may go "poof!" which would be a shame. :(
Best regards ... AZ*

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

AZ* wrote:Connections to the forum have been very hit or miss for me this week. One of these days the TMF may go "poof!" which would be a shame. :(
You are not the only one having problems this week. And last week. And last month. And last...…… You get the idea.

It will be a shame when this site crashes as lots of people won't know where to go to find the new forum. A lot of members will be lost.

Mike

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

phonogfp wrote:
PHONOMIKE wrote:And the problems continue. At least a few times every week I get the 500 error, 503 error or 505 error. Doesn't look like this will be coming to an end anytime soon.

Mike
Just remember that if this forum should permanently crash, go to the Antique Phonograph Society's web site and look for an APS forum.

https://www.antiquephono.org/

George P.
Everyone should be encouraged to click on the link above and save it on your PC as a favorite for when the inevitable happens. That is what I did as soon as I saw this older post. And yes I have been having problems accessing the forum particularly over the last two weeks. It has been very hit and miss.

Would be good if this life boat link could be included in a pinned post in the main forum so that everyone sees it and can plan ahead. Last time the forum went *poof* people did eventually find their way to the new place but it relied on word of mouth via emails being sent out to individuals that people personally knew and also through posts on other similar forums (of which a couple existed at that time but which no longer do). But it was very hit and miss.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I should say first that I know nothing about computers, website creation etc.

I wonder therefore, just because this website is slow sometimes and gets the occasional 'no service' (or whatever) message and whatever that means) why should it ever just permanently disappear one day because of these reasons ? Isn't it 'backed up' every day for example ?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

poodling around wrote:I wonder therefore, just because this website is slow sometimes and gets the occasional 'no service' (or whatever) message and whatever that means) why should it ever just permanently disappear one day because of these reasons ? Isn't it 'backed up' every day for example ?
Daily back ups? We all wish! :lol:

See:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 8&start=20
Best regards ... AZ*

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

AZ* wrote:
poodling around wrote:I wonder therefore, just because this website is slow sometimes and gets the occasional 'no service' (or whatever) message and whatever that means) why should it ever just permanently disappear one day because of these reasons ? Isn't it 'backed up' every day for example ?
Daily back ups? We all wish! :lol:

See:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 8&start=20

Oooops. Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me now :oops:

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Ahhh using the forum this week has been so frustrating - even trying to make this post! It is so slow and keeps dropping out. It sure is going to kill the traffic here if it is so hard to view or write anything.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

It's becoming untenable. I just spent an hour trying to respond to a post: 20 minutes to write it, and 40 minutes trying to get it to post! Retrying a half a dozen times.

Thankfully, I copied the post and saved it to my clipboard - this time!
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.