Improved True Tone # 2

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

Improved True Tone # 2

Post by larryh »

I have been toying with how to get even more from the records and hit on a solution to doing that. I hadn't mentioned it but my Astute Friend Paul from England thought something was different and ask me about it on this record.. Granted the record is quite well recorded, but the new design pulls more from the records than the versions before it.

Kiss you little baby goodnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRAy2cxwdQ

Larry

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Improved True Tone # 2

Post by fran604g »

larryh wrote:I have been toying with how to get even more from the records and hit on a solution to doing that. I hadn't mentioned it but my Astute Friend Paul from England thought something was different and ask me about it on this record.. Granted the record is quite well recorded, but the new design pulls more from the records than the versions before it.

Kiss you little baby goodnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRAy2cxwdQ

Larry
Hi Larry,

I'm assuming this is the version Steve Medved used in my recently rebuilt nickel reproducer with the new Gilmore diamond? He told me that you had made a special diaphragm for him, specifically telling me in his email, "That was a special diaphragm that Larry did for me, I chose it for you because of that. It has more sensitivity than normal."

I can attest first hand to it's incredible volume and clarity! I auditioned it for George Paul and Nate Ostrye when they were here a little over a week ago. Amazing! Clear, distortion free increased volume, and extended dynamics on both ends of the spectrum. Very pleasing to our ears! Bravo!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Fran,

Happy to hear that you found it also an improvement. In fairness I have to say that in recent weeks I have had a few test diaphragms that proved to improve sound as you mentioned. This particular diaphragm may have been created after yours but I think I know which it was and it too was promising in sound.. Here is a photo of the Edison Listening room that Steven sent me this morning before he knew I was going to discuss the new sound.. My comments to him were that while it sounded really great in my living room the large chippendale in my moms very large and open basement didn't seem to produce quite the same sound. He sent me this photo this morning to show that indeed Edison had a room with somewhat small size that no doubt would manage to concentrate the available sound at its best. But no matter what one hears on the videos is only possible with the diaphragm being able to produce it. I have always told people that the sound you hear is very much dependent on the surroundings and room acoustics. Thanks for your kind comments.
Attachments
Green room standard.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Great picture. I'd love to have that record cabinet for my A-80 :)

Andreas

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Oddly a couple years bacK I actually ran into one of those cabinets at a sort of antique/junk store out here in the middle of now where. I realized it had edison like storage sleeves but also has a series of buttons that push the record up out of the slot. I only found that out after I got back home. I had no real use for it as a long time ago I sold a wonderful pear wood version of those table tops. I am sure by now its long gone, but next time I see one, if ever, I may not let it just sit there.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Here is an example of an early black label one step. I like the way it defines the accent instruments. Now your computer speaker and your volume levels will all play a part in how one hears this. I have a set of computer Bose speakers which come pretty close to being like the sound here, but again, I can boost the volume from low to high. This is a loud record anyway but it also is loud in my setting.

The Carnival One Step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dao_Y5bxMkM

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

alang wrote:Great picture. I'd love to have that record cabinet for my A-80 :)

Andreas
Agreed that it's a great picture! What struck me was what appears to be a little half-round table nestled against the C-250. Was such furniture actually produced? I've never seen anything like it--but then, I've never known to look, either. Something like that would be very handy for swapping records onto and off of the turntable.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I wondered about the table as well. From the drawing it is hard to tell if its a round pedestal or a half one? Either way it seems like it might have had putting a record on it. But wouldn't it get in the way of easy cranking of the machine?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Hey, I have that B-80 record cabinet! So it originally had record slots for DDs? Mine has no slots. I think someone removed them, who knows when, and stripped the cabinet for a refinish that he never got around to. The B-80 after getting a new spring to replace the broken one and a new leather belt runs like a top! It also got a reproducer rebuild from Wyatt, so I play it all the time now!
Attachments
b80c3.jpg
b80c3.jpg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
b80a1598.jpg
b80a1598.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Nice setup. Maybe you can recreate the record slats in the cabinet.

Andreas